What tools for Apeks Regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_dragon_no1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Getting slowly into servicing my own regs. (dbl backmount and stages)
And starting to look for tools.

Any recommendations? And where to buy?
Any particular measured basic tool i need?
(Spanner tool, IP guage and a ultrasonic cleaner i a given)

Also having a TX100 1 & 2 stage. Is there different tools for these i wonder?

Will only do Apeks cold water regs for now.

PS. discussions about servicing own regs you can take in some other threads.

Thanks

Last edited:
You will need at least one c-spanner(2 if servicing DS4's), it's called Pin Spanner on your link. I like this combined IP-gauge and 2nd stage adjustment-tool: IST Regulator Adjustement Tool.
You will probably also need a tool to hold the 1st stage: First Stage Body Holding Tool

That shoud be it, in addition to normal tools you probably already have.

You need 2 of the pin spanners in case the environmental cap gets stuck on the diaphragm clamp.
No need for the 2nd stage adjustment tool if you have micro adjuster 2nd stage models (XTX 50 and up) as lever height is independent of cracking effort adjustment.
34mm spanners are only for the Tek3.
Torque wrench, despite everyone else saying you don't need one.
Scubatools socket and extension or a crow's foot if you want to torque the yoke retaining nut properly or avoid this all together by going DIN exclusively. Of course you need to compute if using a crow's foot.
11/16 deep socket to torque the 2nd stage jam nut.
You also need a 1st stage handle, I prefer the Scubapro field handle.

yyyy.png

Yeah of course, two spanners is smart! :)
A 1st stage holder tool or a vice i will sort out also.

But as mentioned over, is it difference in the spanners on most common 1st stages and the TX100?
I looking into maybe swapping it for a DST or a DS4. Specialy if i might need separate tools for it!

The 2nd stage combo adjustment tool might be a good idea since i use some of my 2nd stage regs are TX40/50.
All DIN on my 1st stages.

Torque wrench..... Yeah, maybe :wink:

Pao, that screenshot from service manual i guess? I already had a look there, but just want some personal opinions :)

Thanks!

What does lever height have to do with not needing the 2nd stage adjustment tool?

How do you adjust the 2nd stage then?

Yeah of course, two spanners is smart! :)
A 1st stage holder tool or a vice i will sort out also.

But as mentioned over, is it difference in the spanners on most common 1st stages and the TX100?
I looking into maybe swapping it for a DST or a DS4. Specialy if i might need separate tools for it!

The 2nd stage combo adjustment tool might be a good idea since i use some of my 2nd stage regs are TX40/50.
All DIN on my 1st stages.

Torque wrench..... Yeah, maybe :wink:

Pao, that screenshot from service manual i guess? I already had a look there, but just want some personal opinions :)

Thanks!

1st stages use the same tools across the board except for the Tek3 which needs the 34mm spanner.
Yes, it is a screenshot.

What does lever height have to do with not needing the 2nd stage adjustment tool?

How do you adjust the 2nd stage then?

Come to think of it, you don't need the inline 2nd stage tool for the ATX models and above. I don't use one on my Apeks regs. Lever height is adjusted with either the proprietary Apeks "go-no go" tester or with the lever legs level with the case edge with the mouthpiece pointing down. Lever height changes once you pressurize the 2nd stage so the 2nd stage inline tool just makes it more convenient.

After this, you adjust the cracking effort either with the micro adjuster (ATX/XTX 50 and above) or the plastic spring adjuster (ATX/XTX 40 and below). With the TX50 the cracking effort can be varied a bit with the inline tool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom