What to wear underneath Thermals ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Whites Fusion set up, with their Glacier Mk2 long John, and if I ever dive in serious cold the Glacier Mk2 jacket (just using it post dive currently)

At the moment I have Glaciers against bare skin .... should I be looking at wearing some form of thin underlayer ?

I am not cold ... currently diving in water that is 16 deg C surface and 12 deg C at bottom. ( 60 deg F and 54 deg F for those not yet in 21st Century)

Be interested in views as to what base layer to use (if any)

A polypropylene long sleeve and long john blend works real well, helps wick of the condensation, and the poly has a insulating factor. Most outdoor/hunting retailers stock them and is affordable right around $40.00 U S for the set.

TG

Last edited:
I use a wicking baselayer designed for walking/hiking. Can get them from millets or any outdoor type shop. North Face, Helly Hansen etc.

Although they dont provide warmth they wick sweat away from the body and absorb some of it meaning you dont get soggy and the undersuit itself stays cleaner and smells nicer for a lot longer.

You can get Fourth Element ones designed for diving but the hiking ones are the same thing and a lot cheaper.

Underwear would be nice too. :)

"I use a wicking baselayer " .... now that is not something you can slip into conversation every day is it.
Thanks for lead to Millets - I'll take a look this weekend.

If you cant find a millets and are in Swansea some of the sports shops selling rugby stuff is another option. The under armour rugby stuff is a bit more expensive but exactly the same job (although i hate it for rugby!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom