What to do with a non-diving spouse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what do you guys do? There is NO way my wife will learn to dive, she doesnt really swim and freaks out when water gets on her face.

Find a buddy with a non-diving wife and then all of you go to Bonaire.

The wives will have a blast driving around the island and through the park and you guys can go diving.

Ask me how I know :D . . .

m_IMG_1261.JPG

Well, at least you received one or two serious answers. Certainly a question that applies to several of my friends. Some alternate vacations so each spouse gets a choice as to where they go and what they do. Some have spouses who are fine with separate vacations (maybe they need one from each other???).

As for me, I can't imagine being married to a woman who doesn't dive frequently. I guess that's why I'm still single.

After leaving dive magazines with "Romantic Dive Vacations" and such around the house, my wife finally agreed to do a Discover Scuba Dive in Coz with me. She enjoyed it, but scuba is not her thing. (Basically, that was her "Now I've tried it, so quit bugging me about diving" dive.) We've now worked out a system where on dive trips I dive with my friends and she stays on the beach reading a book, preferably with other non-diving wives. When I come back we see the town or whatever. She's happy & I'm happy. If I'm going someplace without shopping or a beach, she usually chooses to stay home. So far it's worked for us!

-- Dave

I get up early and do the early morning dive boat, usually leaves around 9:00. My wife likes sleeping in until 10:00 on vacations, eats her breakfast and reads the newspaper on the motel patio, and gets cleaned up. I'm usually back around noon or one and we lunch together. Then, we have the rest of the day together.

Tried the afternoon dive once, but it took up too much of the day and she was by herself on vacation too long.

Hope that helps.

Pick resorts/ destinations that have something to do for non-divers - shopping districts, museums, personal growth programs, tennis/golf, educational seminars, etc.

Take her to Hawaii. Plenty of great topside activities and great diving. Teach her to play golf or get her interested in photography. I doubt a non-diver would really have a good time on a liveaboard unless she loves to do nothing but read and does not get seasick.

So what do you guys do? There is NO way my wife will learn to dive, she doesnt really swim and freaks out when water gets on her face.

So in planning trips, do you try to find things for them to do?

I am guess they are a no-go on live aboards?

Any suggestions?

Have you thought of getting her a lover? Holiday season is right around the corner. :)

Sink her and and make her a dive site??? :D

(Sorry, alcohol and keyboards don't mix.) :wink:

Back
Top Bottom