What to do with a non-diving spouse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what do you guys do? There is NO way my wife will learn to dive, she doesnt really swim and freaks out when water gets on her face.

If you think that's bad, try a non-diving spouse and two small girls. :D

Mine is the same way, and every person I've talked to that tried to pressure a reluctant spouse into scuba has said it was a mistake so I'm going to take their word for it.

For me, it means no week long liveaboards (I get to do 2/3/4 day trips to Flower Gardens now and then) or exotic dive vacations. So we go places like Florida or maybe Cozumel where there are plenty of non-diving activities and it's relatively affordable. In about 5 or 6 years when the girls venture into scuba (my hopeful plan) we will probably add places like Curacao and Roatan.

My husband not only hates water, he hates to travel. When he has gone to an island, he is grumpy.

I have found that it is better for me to go on a dive vacation without hubby--thereby costing half and having twice the fun.

Seriously, it grieves me to no end that he not only won't ever dive, he resents my diving.

I have this issue. She loves snorkling but I cant get her to Scuba. We just plan vacations that we both have interest in, for instance Hawaii. Then we take friends!! I dive they go do all the lame stuff I dont want to do while I am diving, it works out perfect.

If money isn't too much of an issue, try the El Presidente in Cozumel. Just got back from a trip there with my diving hubby and my non-dibing sister/husband. There is a nice spa, a gym, a decent beach, 2 pools including an adults only one, great snorkeling right outside the rooms. There is even clay projects to paint near the pool. Diving can occur either early am or in the afternoon and it's fun to visit town each evening for dinner and shopping. Can also go horse-back riding across the street, visit Chankanaab next door, book an excursion to the mainland for ruins, etc. Lots to do both diving and non-diving. We ALL had a blast.

I can only talk from experience...Most of my dive trips have centered around the Florida Keys because we know the Keys pretty well from before I caught the diving bug...so while I'm beneath the surface NOT working on my tan, she's above the surface working on hers! Whether basking by the pool or beach, shopping, or just tooling around and putzing about somewhere, looking for the next cool place to either eat, hang out, or swim. (house hunting?)

I'm dying to try a liveaboard, not sure if I'll ever get her to do it, although, I have a cousin (On her side of the family) that's certified, and would possibly be my allie in attempting that! (the wives can chat and drink while we get wet!) My LDS has great trips every year, and I'm trying to convince her that this would be a GOOD thing, and that the non diving wives all had a blast when they recently went to Dominica...she needs to meet a few of them!!!

To the person that mentioned her husband doesn't dive, but likes to fish...think Florida Keys! You can both get some at the same time...lot's of diving, and lot's of fishing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom