What to do with a non-diving spouse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shakespear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So what do you guys do? There is NO way my wife will learn to dive, she doesnt really swim and freaks out when water gets on her face.

So in planning trips, do you try to find things for them to do?

I am guess they are a no-go on live aboards?

Any suggestions?

I am guess they are a no-go on live aboards?
Actually, I just met someone last month at a dive club meeting around here. She has permanent contraindications to diving, but she apparently has a blast going along with them on liveaboard trips. Basically, it's just a really relaxing cruise for her, with plenty of time to lounge around, read, or whatever, and she gets to hang out with all the divers, too.

Basically, it all depends on what the non-diving spouse likes, and I'm certainly not able to make any guesses as to yours. There are plenty of wet-dry couples out there (not to mention all the wet-and-wetter pairs), so you're bound to find something here. :biggrin:

Sell her as a slave, divorce is expensive

Agree with ClayJar - a nondiver could enjoy a liveaboard if they're not someone who needs to have a lot to do on vacation.

I'm in the same situation with a nondiving BF in my case. He's not actually a avid traveler so I take diving vacations by myself. When we do go together we go somewhere where the fishing is good also since that's his thing.

So what is your spouse in to? Might be able to get some more specific suggestions.

Cheers,
Lilla

My boyfriend (of 8yrs... seems like we should be married) doesn't swim in anything more than a 4ft pool. However, he is quite interested in going to all the nice, warm, tropical places that I want to dive at so we plan to compromise. I don't spend all my time under water, and we get to have a nice vacation. He doesnt' mind just hanging out and doing his own thing, but we'll see how that actually turns out when we go on vacation.

--Shannon

I dragged my girlfriend along on a liveaboard. Although she appeared to have fun, she later admitted she was miserable the entire ten days. Mostly because of seasickness, but boredom was also a factor. So I dumped the *****. j/k. She does enjoy snorkeling, so when I travel with her, we go to compromise destinations like Bonaire or Bali, and I save the liveaboards for solo travel.

My wife, although she is a great swimmer, never really had an interest in getting certified. Now, she's hooked and doing her AOW swims in February. Lot's of cool stuff to do around the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom