What to do when nauseous underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MadisonK:
what would be wrong with taking the reg out of the mouth to hurl?

Usually after someone throws up they have an urge to inhale, so the reg keeps you from getting a mouhful of sea water. And once your done dont forget to purge the reg.

...and after cleaning it on the surface unscrew it, remove and wash the moving parts in fresh water. Bits of food etc tend to stick to the inside of exhausts and inside the reg.

Trust me on this one.....

jonahfab:
I'm getting kinda nauseous reading this thread!
I must be feeling cranky to even consider posting this, but I see this language error all the time and it bugs me.

If you are "nauseous", you are making somebody else sick.

If you are feeling sick, you are "nauseated".

Okay, I feel better now. Not in the least nauseated.

WJL:
I must be feeling cranky to even consider posting this, but I see this language error all the time and it bugs me.

If you are "nauseous", you are making somebody else sick.

If you are feeling sick, you are "nauseated".

Okay, I feel better now. Not in the least nauseated.

From The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. Copyright © 1993 Columbia University Press.

The problem is whether nauseous can be restricted to meaning “causing nausea” and nauseated to meaning “feeling nausea,” which orderly division is what most Edited English tries to enforce. But alas for neatness, both adjectives have both meanings, though a few dictionaries insist that nauseous, meaning “feeling nausea,” is limited to Colloquial use. Best advice: follow the Edited English practice in speech and writing, and no one will object. In adjunct use nauseous and nauseating, meaning “causing nausea,” are roughly interchangeable in both adjunct and predicate adjective use and get a great deal of Standard figurative use meaning “sickening, disgusting.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom