What to do when nauseous underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MadisonK

Contributor
Reaction score
The weather cancelled my first wreck dive this weakend. Good thing because I wasn't feeling too well. We went diving for scallops on Saturday am. I felt a little queasy when I woke up but I went anyway. As the dive progressed I felt myself getting more and more nauseous. As soon as I got out of the water I fed the fish so to speak.

This experience got me thinking what to do if you had to be sick underwater. Honestly, it's not the first time I've been nauseous underwater. The other two times were during my dry suit certification where they made me turn upside down to see if I could right myself with air in my feet. We were also diving in a shallow area with alot of surge. On Saturday there was a real strong current that we could feel. I think this contributed to my nausea.

(For the record: the dive depth averaged in the 45' range and I never felt like I couldn't control it or I would have aborted the dive)

Any thoughts?

You hold onto your regulator and toss your cookies right through it :)

While not that pleasant for you, it has the added bonus of some great closeups with the fish life for your dive partner.

Yes - you can indeed puke through your reg. Go right ahead. When you're done, switch to your backup and swish out your primary. All done.

I had a buddy do his navigation dives for his advanced OW course a few years ago. He knew when he got back to his starting point because he came across a floating onion ring that his dive buddy had conveniently left for them there at the start of the dive. :l:

Omicron:
You hold onto your regulator and toss your cookies right through it :)

I think I'd swap out for my octo, then hold on and toss the cookies :)

MadisonK:
what would be wrong with taking the reg out of the mouth to hurl?

The strong in flow of water into your airway when your diaphragm and abdomenal muscles relaxed :wink:

Keeping the reg in your mouth lets nice clean air back in so you can deal with the next round of upheaval.

DUDE !!
have you ever hurled at a keg party before ??
remember how you gasp for breath in between ejection

hold the reg in and go

also you might not want to eat chunky food :wink:

Dive Safe

Mark s

MadisonK:

After you puke, your first instinct is to inhale. A very bad problem if your mouth is full of water and your reg is in your hand.

The regs are built so you can puke through them.

TT :wink:

One of the Assistant Instructors where we were staying in the Maldives used to get sea sick on a regular occurence, but she used to take her reg out, throw up and then put the reg back.
On the rare occasion that I have been ill whilst on a dive I would do it through the reg, and then swap over to octo once I was sure I was finished :wink:

note, you want be the first or last person to puke in your reg. I'd rather toss my cookies and feel better afterwards, then too feel like crap the whole time. Question, You said you weren't feeling all that great when you woke up that morning, do you think you were getting sick, or maybe its a little bit of a nerve thing? If your nerves are kicking up the acid in your tummy it sure would be an easy fix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom