What to do in certain situations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue diver course will give you a lot of insight and confidence in this area

First off, thanks so much for all the kind reply's truly appreciate it, even without any rescue diver course its nice knowing you have somewhat of an idea what needs to happen! That being said I know the Rescue Diver Course is a must (at least I consider it one) and I am dead set on taking it, it just will probably be a little while since I dont have much experience and need to take my AOW certification prior. The point about a different training agency is a valid one, as far as I know the two prominent training agency's in Minnesota are either PADI or SSI, but it might be good to look into the prerequisites from SSI! Thanks for the idea! I will also look further into getting some sort of O2 kit to take on site:)

Why are you waiting until summer to take the CPR class?

At present, you have basic OW training and very limited experience. Be careful about getting into situations that are over your head. One of the worst things you can do as an emergency responder is turn yourself into another victim.

As a diver without any formal rescue training, I think it's important not to bite off more than you can chew. Use your common sense. Use judgment to decide when it's appropriate to turn over the situation to a trained rescuer. Do the best you can without turning yourself into another victim.

I am somewhat unsure of what you mean... If you consider a new diver asking questions about rescue and emergency procedures only taught two courses down the road for me "biting of more than you can chew" and "getting in over your head" than according to you the diving community would be in dire shape indeed... Where better to seek advice than here??

The reason I am not taking the CPR course any sooner is simply due to the fact that I am 16, a sophomore in high school and participate in multiple extra curricular activities. That aside, I think the fact that I am taking a CPR course this summer and Lifeguard training after that is a step in the right direction.

lots of local shops have fun dive nights or weekends at square lake or at the quarry in wisc. Call each of the shops in the area and find out their schedule. You can also rent tanks or get fills from the shop. It is a good way to meet local divers and to dive with more experienced divers who would be happy to discuss your concerns.

As a matter of fact I am planning to attend a lot of Fun dives from two different LDS's this year which I have on the Calendar, and I am also part of Twin Cities SCUBA club, so yes I am certainly looking forward to buddying up with some experienced divers, which will be a really great experience!!

An O2 kit is not that expensive. Get your victim to the surface call for help, try to regain breathing if needed and place on O2. Bottom line is your not a doctor, your just buying the victim time. That time may be enough to get him in the right hands. Dont put off training if you dont have to. Take the rescue class ASAP.

MnDive, Some great advice from some of the most experienced veterans on SB. Yes, CPR and Rescue ASAP (ASSUMING it's more readily available than once a year or so like here). Old topic: "How much Rescue technique should be included in the OW course? There used to be a lot decades ago. Is a lot of rescue stuff too much to absorb at the very beginning while simply trying to master the very basics of diving"? All good debatable questions. I think back to my first 22 dives with fellow OW complete newbie before doing Rescue. I would have asked the same questions you just did but I didn't have the forsight. Now that I think back, I knew diddly-squat, save for how to do a tired diver tow. Anyhow, I do believe you can take (PADI) Rescue now without the required 20 logged dives. Get a few dives in and be really careful, then get to Rescue course when you can and are pretty decent with the basics.

I am somewhat unsure of what you mean... If you consider a new diver asking questions about rescue and emergency procedures only taught two courses down the road for me "biting of more than you can chew" and "getting in over your head" than according to you the diving community would be in dire shape indeed... Where better to seek advice than here??

The reason I am not taking the CPR course any sooner is simply due to the fact that I am 16, a sophomore in high school and participate in multiple extra curricular activities. That aside, I think the fact that I am taking a CPR course this summer and Lifeguard training after that is a step in the right direction.
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. New divers ask lots of questions. That's what they do, and it's perfectly OK.

My comments regarding "getting in over your head" were meant to caution you. It's OK to think about the "textbook" response to various emergency scenarios. However, you should know that every rescue scenario presents a certain amount of risk to the responder. That risk might climb to an unacceptably high level if the responder lacks the proper training and experience.

As for the CPR class...
The point I was trying to get across is, whether you're diving or not...getting lifeguard training or not, CPR certification is a good idea. Don't wait. Take it at your earliest convenience. You never know when you'll be called upon to resuscitate someone. BLS CPR certification classes can often be completed in one weekend day or over the course of two weekday nights. You should be able to fit that into your schedule somehow. Ask your family members to take it with you. The more, the merrier. Make sure you take a course that teaches both rescue breathing and chest compressions.

I can appreciate that as a sophomore in high school you've got a lot going on. I was once your age, too. It can be tough balancing school work with multiple extracurricular activities. I'd argue that getting CPR-certified is so important, though, that it should be at/near the top of your list of priorities.

I can appreciate that as a sophomore in high school you've got a lot going on. I was once your age, too. It can be tough balancing school work with multiple extracurricular activities. I'd argue that getting CPR-certified is so important, though, that it should be at/near the top of your list of priorities.

This bears repeating. CPR is one of those skills that may be useful anytime/anywhere. It's not dive-specific. Your enriched air card won't do any good when your father chokes on a piece of steak at the restaurant or a neighbor has a heart attack mowing the lawn. CPR training would help prepare for those events.

It seems that CPR and basic first aid would be very useful things to include in school curriculum for all students. High school was many years ago for me, and the pterodactyl swarms were horrible. Even then there were things being taught that I know had little or no practical use in life. They could have easily been trimmed by the few hours it would have taken to do basic aid & CPR.

I just read Shadow Divers and in the book they reference giving aspirin and lots of water to someone who may have the bends. The book is a little older and I'm wondering if this is still a recommended practice. Should I put aspirin in my dive bag too?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom