What to Choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought a teric after starting with an inexpensive Cressi Leonardo. Not enough good things to say about it. I am older and was concerned about smaller font, but was not an issue, the crispness of the display makes it very easy to read. YOu will have to budget 75-100 every 5 years to send the Teric back to Shearwater for them to replace the battery.

Consider that you will also have to spend 200-400 on a transmitter. Good thing about Shearwater is that they are compatable with all transmitters made by PPS who has manufactured transmitters for Aeris, Oceanic, Hollis, Aqualung, as well as the Shearwater branded one. As long as the FCC ID says MH8A it will work, lots of used ones for sale at the 200-250 range vice new.

Scubapro has a much more up to date hoseless AI wrist dive computer, the G2, than the Solution/Luna. It is a great computer. Check this:

https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.co...s/g2-wrist-dive-computer-includes-transmitter

Hahahaha, yeah, at more than twice what I paid for my Luna....

No really, your right though, and it does look super sweet. I've dived with some buddies using the G2 and they definitely like it. I really like color alarms, they're very obvious and attention grabbing. But I'm only 6 years into my Luna though and it's still going strong. No plans to upgrade anytime soon..... unless I can find someone to trade straight across :D.

Side topic, very related, let's not get too distracted though: I can't make up my mind regarding SmartTrak.... Yeah it's pretty good logging for Scubapro computers, but I find myself using Subsurface more, which, as I understand, also favors the Shearwater computers. That may be worth considering to the OP... what software interface do you like.... there's a lot of discussions here on SB to check out regarding software.

6 years into my Luna though and it's still going strong. No plans to upgrade anytime soon.....

Luna is a good solid computer, it was close to the top of the line when you bought it six years ago. It will serve you well for many years to come.

Side topic, very related, let's not get too distracted though: I can't make up my mind regarding SmartTrak.... Yeah it's pretty good logging for Scubapro computers, but I find myself using Subsurface more, which, as I understand, also favors the Shearwater computers. That may be worth considering to the OP... what software interface do you like.... there's a lot of discussions here on SB to check out regarding software.

I use Subsurface myself. I like it since it allows me to download the various brand/model dive computers I have into a single dive log file. The brand specific software doesn't allow me to do download dive log data from different brand computers.

Hi @Ridnick

It appears you are willing to spend a good amount of money to purchase a computer that could see you through increasing recreational training and possible professional and/or technical training. I would suggest considering a computer that runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C with gradient factors. These computers are extremely flexible and can be adjusted to cover a wide spectrum from conservative to liberal for both rec and tec dives. I also note your desire for Bluetooth.

My recommendation for decompression algorithm would disqualify the Suunto D5 running Suunto Fused RGBM 2 and the Aqua Lung i770R, running PZ+. There has been a recommendation for the Scubapro G2, it runs proprietary Buhlmann ZH-L16 ADT MB that is quite different, and more conservative than straight Buhlmann. The Mares Genius does not allow for diving a full range of Buhlmann gradient factors. Ratio computers run a slightly different version of Buhmann, ZH-L16B, which is probably OK. They have only presets, and not custom GFs, until you upgrade to the Tech+ model in each line.

The Suunto Eon Steel will offer Buhlmann in addition to their Suunto Fused RGBM at some point in the future. There is some well thought out support for the Eon Steel on SB. The implementation of this addition appears to have been delayed, possibly due to the time and energy required in the launch of the D5. Who knows, Garmin may offer an AI version of the Descent someday.

In the meantime, the Shearwater Perdix AI and Teric fit the bill, with quite different form factors.

Best of luck in your computer purchase.

There has been a recommendation for the Scubapro G2, it runs proprietary Buhlmann ZH-L16 ADT MB that is quite different, and more conservative than straight Buhlmann.
And what is the problem here?

Ratio computers run a slightly different version of Buhmann, ZH-L16B, which is probably OK.
It is OK.

Ratio iX3M computers run VPM in addition to Buhmann, ZH-L16B too giving the diver choices.

In addition, Ratio does not offer Bluetooth, though the USB cable is supplied.
This isn't true, Ratio computers do both, USB cable (used to recharge the battery also) and Bluetooth to download dive log.

Suunto D5 running Suunto RGBM
According to their ads, it runs Fused RGBM.

In the meantime, the Shearwater Perdix AI and Teric fit the bill, with quite different form factors.

What bill they fit the others, Ratio and SP, don't fit?

And what is the problem here?
The decompression algorithm will not match straight Buhlmann in planning or execution, should that ever be important, it is to me.

It is OK.

Ratio iX3M computers run VPM in addition to Buhmann, ZH-L16B too giving the diver choices.
VPM-B is offered on the Deep model and up. I do not consider offering this additional deco algorithm as an advantage, though you might.

This isn't true, Ratio computers do both, USB cable (used to recharge the battery also) and Bluetooth to download dive log.
I stand corrected, post revised.

According to their ads, it runs Fused RGBM.
It actually runs their new Suunto Fused RGBM 2, I have revised the post.

What bill they fit the others, Ratio and SP, don't fit?
I clearly stated these were my opinions and suggestions. You are certainly welcome to have yours. A Ratio Tech+ model would fit the bill with custom GFs. The new iDive Color edition is quite attractive. For SP, see above

Luna is a good solid computer, it was close to the top of the line when you bought it six years ago. It will serve you well for many years to come.

Oh absolutely, I'm not trying to bash the Luna. I'm very happy with it. For me, as my diving has progressed and changed scope a little, I think I would appreciate the flexibility of the Shearwater computers now. I especially like the GF adjustments available in the Shearwaters.

I use Subsurface myself. I like it since it allows me to download the various brand/model dive computers I have into a single dive log file. The brand specific software doesn't allow me to do download dive log data from different brand computers.

Yes, exactly. Subsurface is really well put together.

I have my own trouble with dive log software not exporting what I need, but for a very unique reason. But this isn't the thread for that.... :p

I am looking into my first big purchase of a dive computer. Mainly want the Bluetooth feature and wireless AI.

As i advancing through the ranks AOW, Rescue, and maybe further I want something that will be with me for along.

Is your profile correct, you are not certified? Where are you planning to dive, and when, and what is your timeframe for getting that "maybe further" cert?

I have a Perdix AI. Then I got a Teric. I liked it so much, I bought a 2nd Teric and I am selling my Perdix AI to a friend. Better compass, better quality display, and I prefer the Teric’s overall size.

I am looking into my first big purchase of a dive computer. Mainly want the Bluetooth feature and wireless AI.

As i advancing through the ranks AOW, Rescue, and maybe further I want something that will be with me for along.

The 4 i am looking at are Sherwater Teric, Sherwater Perdix ai, Aqualung i770r, and The new Sunuto D5.
Besides the 2 sherwater's i cant find any comparisons.

Do any of the users have thoughts.
Side notes. I am still young so the display size dosent realy matter. I don;t know if i will ever be a tech diver but probably eventually go for my dive master.

Thanks for your thoughts

My suggestion is to spend the least money you can, learn a bit and then buy whatever happens to be state of the art when you have done some significant diving. The Bluetooth download is an excellent feature to have (in my opinion) and the Aqualung i300C does that for half to a quarter the price of those others.

On he other hand, if you are a Hilton heir then buy the Teric, unless you don’t like charging stuff.

The lovely colour screens but cost power, the Garmin manages that better than the Teric but doesn’t have AI.

There are a lot of Suunto haters on SB. Personally I have two Suuntos (also a dead Oceanic and two Shearwaters) there is a third in the house and about 90% of the people in my dive club have Suuntos. They all manage to go diving without any problems.

For someone not doing CCR or Trimix, and with good eyesight, the D5 looks lovely, although still pretty expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom