What to carry on airplane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bgilbert5

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all, I recently got my OW cert and I am heading to Hawaii in a few weeks.. Question - when traveling on an airplane, can I check all of my equipment, or do I need to carry on my reg.? I had heard that due to the lack of pressure in the belly of the plane, gauges will get damaged. Is this true?

TIA.

If I were you I would carry my computer and reg on with you. Just to be safe.

I carried on my reg and computer when I went to Hawaii at the beginning of the month. Everything else I checked in a non-descript duffle with a TSA approved lock and Zip ties securing the case.

I carry on my Computer and regulator. At least this way its going to be there when I arrive.

I carry my computer on, because it's a wrist model, and therefore easy for someone to conceal if they decided to steal it. I check everything else.

Many people carry on things like regs and gauges so they don't get stolen/lost/beat up. Not because of pressure, the pressure is the same in the hold. (Colder though.)

The no pressure thing is an urban myth. The tube of the plane withstands the pressure differential, the flat floor between you and cargo is just a place to walk and put seats.

My computer, reg, and mask(script lenses). And now that I'm diving BPW and rockets they will go into my carry on also. Let the TSA goons and baggage monkeys decide if they want my boxers.

I carry my log book, computer and prescription mask and check the rest in a rolling scuba bag. Some people advocate carrying the regulator too, I guess for fear of damage, but we all check the BC even if it has an air-2 reg on it and no one seems that concerned about damage to that reg. For me, the reg is a fairly heavy item to lug around and airport. I prefer to travel light.

Keep in mind that most airlines accept only limited liability for damaged or lost luggage, say, 500 bucks per bag. Thus, checking a bc and reg worth 1500 or more combined is a risk, although luggage can be privately insured for more.

Incidentally, they misplaced my scuba equipment twice in the past year, although USAirways found it promptly and hand delivered it to me in a timely fashion. Nevertheless, its always a concern when our beloved gear vanishes on that conveyer belt!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom