What to carry on airplane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEPLOU:
The exception is when the checked bag weights in @ 54 pounds with a 50 pound limit. Then the regulator suddenly becomes carry-on.
That's the point where I open up the suitcase, remove the mesh bag normally used to carry gear to the boat. I'll shove a couple fins, a wetsuit and maybe some clothing into it and then check it as a 2nd bag.

Also useful when returning from a trip with gear that's a bit heavier because it's still damp.

Some dive computers will track the change in your nitrogen level as a result of the altitude you experience in flight and adjust their calculations. I carry mine so it arrives on the same flight. Check it and it could arrive on a different flight, with a different altitude exposure, and cause the computer to adjust the calculation. I have no idea how large an adjustment can be made - I'm just paranoid. http://scubaboard.com/images/smilies/Standard Smiles/04.gif

I pack the following, in my carry-on:

BC
BC Hangar
SMB
2mm Shortie
Wetsuit hangar
Boots
Flashlight
Camera
Mask
Snorkel
Save-a-Dive kit
Battery Charger

I carry my regs & computer in a small regulator bag,(fit's under the seat), as my other carry-on. My fins go into checked luggage.

I'll be flying to Florida in January, and plan to check everything except for reg, mask, and maybe computer. I have the Akona roller duffel for the checked stuff, so I'm looking for a good all purpose carry-on for the rest of the stuff (one that I can also pack my laptop, iPod, and a few other small things in)

Brian

Back
Top Bottom