What to buy (mask/snorkel)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thewayne456

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a new diver and I was wondering what is a good mask and snorkel to buy. I was planning on paying no more than $135 for both of them. Could you please tell me a good brand or a mask/snorkel to get. And if anyone has a good starter kit (regulator, tank, fins, mask, and snorkel) please tell me. Thanks

Since you are a diver, you don't need a snorkel, unless you do want to do some snorkeling. Now, on the mask, everyone below me is going to tell you to find something that fits well, and that is the best mask. When you're done trying on 50 000 different masks, get yourself a Cressi Sub Big Eyes. Put it on, smile and inhale through your nose (smiling causes wrinkles on the side of your face). No air coming in, then go dive and enjoy the field of view the Big Eyes give you......

Note: The rim on this mask is made of very soft rubber, no need to over tighten the mask, that will cause leaking.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CSBMB.html

PS. You are also going to get 5000 people greeting you, without even reading your post, since this is your first post. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks, I will look into that but I was wondering what a good snorkel was for someone else. Could you or anyone recommend a good snorkel? And is there a diving package that you can get? Thanks

thewayne456:
Thanks, I will look into that but I was wondering what a good snorkel was for someone else. Could you or anyone recommend a good snorkel? And is there a diving package that you can get? Thanks

I use the Mojave (Genesis I think) I use it for skin and scuba diving and it does to a good job of staying dry. I use it for hours at a tiime. The dirty little secret about dry snorkels is that to stay dry they close off the airway at times to shut water out. Other times the baffles are all it takes. In any case I'd rather go back for the breath than catch a mouthful of water.

Features in general...
*A dry feature valve gadget at the top. There are way better than the old ping pong ball cages.
*Baffels at the top. Some are cascading waterfalls that make it hard for water to splash down into the tube to begin with. You can get snorkels witht his feature alone.
*Purge valve, held closed by water pressure they led you blow the water out without pitching all up the tube. With practice it's not needed and can even be a failure point. Make sure the pruge valve is sheltered in a little cage. this keep some debris away from it and keeps the supple flap from opeing if you move your head quickly.
*Flex tube and articulated joints allow for a stress free fit.
*Look at the mask attacment device, some are harder to use than others.
*If you have a flex hose and silicone mouthpice consider tie wrapping them just like the mouthpieces on your second stages. They can pop apart in rough water.

I had a simple open top style before, I did not die or even come close so if you want something simple go for it.

Pete

I think all divers should have a snorkel handy, with the exception of cave or wreck divers who need to avoid anything getting caught. I have been extremely greatful for having a snorkel on many dives. When waiting on the surface for other divers to enter the water (especially if it is rough) it is great to just pop in a snorkel and not have to worry about getting a mouth full of water. I really like to TUSA Platina Hyperdry, it has a pivot clip that allows to snorkel to be removed quickly and easily if you want to put your mask in a storage box for example. I work part time in a dive shop and have tried alot of snorkels and this one wins hands down. It is expensive (approx AUD$70) but well worth it, check it out at the address below.

http://www.tusa.com.au/products/product.asp?rc=1&category=2&id=8&pp=1

Also have a look at Oceanic's gear it is good quality but is well priced (in Australia anyway). The new SP5/Alpha 8 regulator is a great starter reg. Try and get yourself a set of split fins aswell, your calves will thank you down the track, the Oceanic V8 or V12' are good so are the Apollo Bio-Fins.

Thanks and I will look into that snorkel & it got good reviews. While I was looking for that snorkel I found a couple of scuba packages that I was wondering if they were any good. If anyone could take a look at them and thell me if any are worth looking at. I don't want to buy cheap gear but I don't want to buy the best.

Website: http://www.leisurepro.com/Cat/Context_948/Scuba_Packages/1902.html

thewayne456:
Thanks and I will look into that snorkel & it got good reviews. While I was looking for that snorkel I found a couple of scuba packages that I was wondering if they were any good. If anyone could take a look at them and thell me if any are worth looking at. I don't want to buy cheap gear but I don't want to buy the best.

Slow down, take a deep breath and start reading the gear forums. If you work hard all of this will start to make sense.

Get your personal gear (mask, snorkel, booties and fins) to train with, it must fit you well or you're off to a bad start.

As a budetary number after training and your personal gear figure between $1500 - $3000 for your gear. Waiting for the computer and cylinders will keep you away from the higher number.

Pete

As a diver you'll find your use for a snorkel minimal, but it's not a horrible idea to have one anyhow. With that in mind, go for the cheapest thing you (or your friend) can find. A segment of garden hose with a mouthpiece attached will do just fine J/K. No need for fancy valves or anything(even the whole "dry snorkel" thing is way past me); it's just a tube to breathe through.

As far as the mask is concerned, my personal recommendation would be the Mares X-Vision. All of the "big eyed" masks that you see out there are going to be adaptation of the X-Vision. It's low volume, fits almost any face(my girlfriend is 5-6 140lbs, and i'm 6-1 245lbs and we both wear one) stores easily in a bc pocket as a backup, is ultra light on the face, and has a super comfortable soft thin rubber skirt.

I own 5. great mask

thewayne456:

The Tusa Platina HyperDry Snorkel is an excellent product that easily folds-up & fits in a BCD pocket and also quickly clips on your mask, when needed. This works well for someone, like me, who rarely needs it but likes the idea of always having one handy. I have one and highly recommend it. ScubaToys sells it, in five different colors, for $32.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom