What to buy (mask/snorkel)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Pete you made a good point and I will take that to the bank. I know you mentioned a Mohjave: Genesis I. But I was looking more for a package, could u suggest any. If you think buying them seperatley is a good idea than i will do that. If that is so could you suggest a good mask, booties, and fins. Thanks a lot

thewayne456:
Thanks Pete you made a good point and I will take that to the bank. I know you mentioned a Mohjave: Genesis I. But I was looking more for a package, could u suggest any. If you think buying them seperatley is a good idea than i will do that. If that is so could you suggest a good mask, booties, and fins. Thanks a lot

Think each item through and if you find a number of items at one shop ask for a deal, make it your package.

Read the mask forum but asside from fit yoiu can consider clear or black skirt, eash has it's fans.
Mask is all about fit, fit, fit. What Jonnythan said about the big eyes is worth considering. the more you can see of you and your gear the easier learing will be. The otherside is that this cannot be a crutch due to low visibility from silt, cloudy water or darkness.
I prefer a non purge mask. If you insist on spending the extra for a purge valve you will not die a horrible death. I do consider it a failure point and some find doing a good nose pinch difficult with the embedded valve.

Booties? Cold water I assume, When I buy again I want a sturdy sole for rocky entries and exits. My softies were great for skin-diving, add scuba gear and you feel everything!

Fins, holly crap, go to the fin fourm, read and throw a dart.

Becoming gear savy will be more work than you OW class.

Pete

thewayne456:
Hey everyone, I'm a new diver and I was wondering what is a good mask and snorkel to buy. I was planning on paying no more than $135 for both of them. Could you please tell me a good brand or a mask/snorkel to get. And if anyone has a good starter kit (regulator, tank, fins, mask, and snorkel) please tell me. Thanks

I agree with most of the suggestions that the other posters have said.
$150 is ridiculous for a mask and snorkel, highway robbery.
I don't think you need to spend more than $100 for a mask and snorkel and that's buying top of the line stuff!

As for suggestions, a snorkel in some respects is the least complex and also cheapest bit of dive gear.
Don't blow the bank on it, i'd suggest a snorkel with semi-dry.
This is very similiar to mine http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/BLRSPLM.html
or you could try http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/MRSSSD.html .
You'll notice that both come in under $20.

As for the mask hmmm, now that depends.
Black or clear?
Mask with purge/ or without purge.
Fit is the most important attribute, a pretty mask with a great field of vision that leaks and doesn't fit correctly is of no use to you.
Will probably increase you anxiety level IMO.
I myself have a Dacor Mystere mask but I don't think that's still being produced??

Anyway final note, can't go wrong with Scuba toys or Leisure Pro.

Use either of them and your total purchases will probably come in significantly under budget!
Now go dive :D

thewayne456:
Hey everyone, I'm a new diver and I was wondering what is a good mask and snorkel to buy. I was planning on paying no more than $135 for both of them. Could you please tell me a good brand or a mask/snorkel to get. And if anyone has a good starter kit (regulator, tank, fins, mask, and snorkel) please tell me. Thanks

I just went through purchasing my mask.........and I followed what I was advised to do...by going to the store, ignoring the sales clerk....going to the masks.....moving the strap....looking up...placing it on my face w/ my hair all pushed back...sucking in w/ my nose...and turning my face downwards...

Not all were comfortable on my face.........and I tried on everything they had in the store....I did not look at prices until I was done........some that felt comfy initially ended up after a short time pinching my cheeks or felt like they were chafing my face....others I just felt closed in with them on....etc.......I just kept trying them on and then elimimating the ones that felt best.............I ended up purchasing a scuba pro crystavl VU w/ a clear skirt....w/out a purge...for some reason the other choice when I got down to 2...had a blue trim around the lenses which made me feel closed in and was in the line of my vision.......so I found it annoying.........

This particular mask stayed on my face, felt very comfortable, I wore it around the store for a bit....looking at other things......to make sure.....so I'm very happy with it....

The snorkle I could not find what my instructor wanted me to have...a simple J snorkel w/ no fancy stuff....so I've had to order that..........

I'm sure this will not be my last mask that I purchase......

ZenDiva

Back
Top Bottom