What to buy first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ended up getting a wetsuit first, then a computer, BC, Regs and a tank (for free). So now I am just looking to get another HP100 then some more lights. I am not sure it will ever end :)

1. Dan Insurance
2. BCD
3. Weights
4. wetsuit
5. Reg
6. Tanks

Now insert between those 6 about 30 other 'miscellaneous didn't know I couldn't live without this' items and you are all set.

I think something we all often get caught up in is tunnel vision for what a single LDS carries. I do almost all of my shopping at one dive shop (I'm guilty), there are times that they simply don't carry what I'm looking for OR a product that fits my needs in my price range.

There is nothing for shopping around to see what is avaliable in the price range you've set for a specific piece of gear. BCs are a perfect example. One brand will get you certain features and another brand a whole different set within the same price range. Unless your LDS carries both brands you may be missing out.

Pricing is a sore subject. My LDS carries Scuba Pro and doesn't carry much else. I wanted a thick suit for diving in 60 - 70f water (7mm). My options were pretty pricey until I looked at a suit offered by Bare that was a fraction of the cost. While it isn't "Everflex" and doesn't carry the Scuba Pro logo, I like my Bare suite and would recomend the suit based on performance AND price.

If money was no object, would I have bought the Scuba Pro from my LDS? Sure, why not but lets face it money is a driving force on what gear we purchase. I'm just as happy diving in my Bare suite when its needed and I saved a couple hundred dollars.

I am also a newbie, so my experience is very limited. I don't really know what I want and how I dive in futures, so my priority will based on rental cost vs purchase cost of the equipment.

For example, weights costs $10 per set for rental, and probably costs than $50 to purchase, so if you dive 5 times, you break even. It is the most econimical to get.

On the other side, regulater+octo+computer console only cost $25 with rental, but the same combo will cost $800+ to purchase, and with annual service of $100. It is the least economical to buy, and you will likely to upgrade later. So I will definitely suggest hold onto buying a reg until you know exactly what/how you will be diving.

Just my $0.02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom