What to buy first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would depend on what I needed most.......

What is available to conveniently and cheaply rent?

What is most critical for you?

Cold water may mean you need wet/drysuit most.
Rental cost or low standards in near-by dive shop may mean you need reg most.
Up-coming dive holiday may mean you want dive computer most.
Cheap deal on Ebay for a good BCD may mean you buy that first.

Personally, I don't like to rent regulators at all.

personally, I bought a computer first and have used it for every dive (including OW).

a computer is a nice accessory (see elsewhere on this site for a full blown debate) :wink:

a regulator is probably your most important piece of gear as it keeps you alive. (I got mine about 2 or 3 dives after OW)

I'd much rather trust my own reg setup than a rental.
You can rent computers and bcd's.

all in all, I'd say get the reg first.

eta: if you do get used gear, have it serviced before you stake your life on it.

Computer or regs.

You know the history of your regs. You know what your computer is telling you. Probably lean more towards a computer.

Just because I like to dissent: :dork2:

1. Exposure suit, fins, mask, etc... - because rentals never fit
  2. Computer - unless you can always rent the same model and keep it on successive dives
  3. BC - because rentals never fit and you can't build muscle memory if you switch too often
  4. Regulator last - because unless you go for a 'non standard' hose configuration (HOG, Air2, console, etc.) changing regulator won't impact you much.

I don't buy the 'regulator is the most important piece of your equipment so you need to buy it first' argument. It is important. But it's also the most standard/swappable piece of equipment on a diver (ok, after the tank). Unless you're in a very specific environment/gear configuration any regulator will do for recreational diving, and all of them are incredibly reliable. So rentals are fine.

Remains hygiene and reliability concerns. Most shops do a very good job there, if only because killing customers isn't good for business - and anyway a BC accident can be as dangerous as a failing regulator.

Just because I like to dissent: :dork2:

1. Exposure suit, fins, mask, etc... - because rentals never fit
  2. Computer - unless you can always rent the same model and keep it on successive dives
  3. BC - because rentals never fit and you can't build muscle memory if you switch too often
  4. Regulator last - because unless you go for a 'non standard' hose configuration (HOG, Air2, console, etc.) changing regulator won't impact you much.

I don't buy the 'regulator is the most important piece of your equipment so you need to buy it first' argument. It is important. But it's also the most standard/swappable piece of equipment on a diver (ok, after the tank). Unless you're in a very specific environment/gear configuration any regulator will do for recreational diving, and all of them are incredibly reliable. So rentals are fine.

Remains hygiene and reliability concerns. Most shops do a very good job there, if only because killing customers isn't good for business - and anyway a BC accident can be as dangerous as a failing regulator.

I tend to agree. If I have to rent something, it would be a regulator. Just carefully rinse the mouthpiece with soap and water before using. A regulator does not have to fit, like a wet suit or BC, and computer may be complicated to figure out initially so it's nice to be familiar with your own. Also not every dive operator has computers to rent.

Adam

A good gauge for what to buy is based on the prices you may pay for rental gear.

In my opinion, a regulator may be the best investment right off.

You ensure it is your own and that it is well maintained.

I suggest getting one with four or more low pressure ports if avalaible. That way you can have your primary and your octo and two different connector style hoses for the inflator.

You could get away with 3 LP ports if you kept an adapter to go from one style inflator to another.

I would buy the reg first, that way you can rent several different BC and see which style BC you like before buying one and wishing you bought something else a month later.

My wife and I bought wetsuits first after 10 dives. Rented the rest for another 15 or so dives, then bought BCD, regs and computer in a package put together through our LDS. Paid cash and saved about 30% over list.

Back
Top Bottom