What to bring to Coz???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn:
Antihistamines are sleeping pills for me; I only take them when I am sick and want to sleep through it. I do take decongestants (Sudfed) before going out diving, though.
Well I don't get motion sickness, but for those so inclined - there are non-drowsy formulas.

But then, I've taken generic sudafed and generic antihistamines so many years, neither bother me. :)

DandyDon:
Well I don't get motion sickness, but for those so inclined - there are non-drowsy formulas.

But then, I've taken generic sudafed and generic antihistamines so many years, neither bother me. :)

Sudafed and antihistamines are very different in their effects on me. Sudafed is a mild stimulant, while antihistamines are a pretty drastic depressant.

I don't have a prob with motion sickness, either; I grew up in a boating family, so I eventually got acclimated to the motion of water, though I used to get sick as a dog when I was a kid. My wife is one of those fortunate people who have never experienced the slightest twinge of it. She can hole up in a stifling cabin in 10 foot seas breathing diesel fumes and the smell of ripening baitfish reading a fine print book with a flashlight and never bat an eye.

H2ODoc:
- safety sausage thing (what brand is good?)
- storm whistle

I like DAN's Safety Sausage. 6 foot, has an overpressure valve so it can be deployed underwater or as a lift bag, has a mesh area where it comes with a light stick, storm whistle, and signalling mirror, plus helping a good cause.

And in response to the post I know is going to come, yes you can deploy bags without a overpressure valve from depth, especially if it's a cheap one, right Don? :D

H2ODoc:
- traveller's checks to pay for diving / hotel (per Caribe Blu's recommendation to avoid tax)

Avoid tax, or avoid credit card surchages? The tax down there is 10% (plus 2% for hotels), whereas many places pass on the 4 or 5% surcharge they have to pay the banks on credit card transactions. I'd be a bit dubious of anyplace trying to avoid the governmental IVA tax...

Fordan:
I like DAN's Safety Sausage. 6 foot, has an overpressure valve so it can be deployed underwater or as a lift bag, has a mesh area where it comes with a light stick, storm whistle, and signalling mirror, plus helping a good cause.
That's true - it's a good deal on a superior sausage, and includes the Storm Whistle by brand I prefer, as well as the mirror that so few get - but I also carry. It is a good package, good deal, good price, good organization.
And in response to the post I know is going to come, yes you can deploy bags without a overpressure valve from depth, especially if it's a cheap one, right Don? :D
Aw, I wasn't going to bring it up, as we've gone over this in detail a few times already, and the OP is too new at scuba to be shooting one from a reel at depth. Later, for Aow course! Any sausage he carries, the Dan model, the $15 lip-pucker-blow model, almost whatever will work on the surface and no diver should go to sea without one or similar - yet so many do.
Avoid tax, or avoid credit card surchages? The tax down there is 10% (plus 2% for hotels), whereas many places pass on the 4 or 5% surcharge they have to pay the banks on credit card transactions. I'd be a bit dubious of anyplace trying to avoid the governmental IVA tax...
Yep, that's how it works. Pay with Travelers Checks and get a big discount. The hotel still pays the taxes, but save the processing fees, enjoys other benefits, and uses the TChecks as downline money. :wink:

Wow - lots of responses. Thanks. Maybe I can summarize all of your answers:

- lots of drugs and maybe take a Dr. with me
- coffee brewing equipment - maybe a portable blow-up Starbucks
- a non-green ball point pen.

:D

All right. I guess we are ready! I'm practicing my espanol:

- uno mas cerveza, por favor.

(by the way, I ordered the Coz maps per that recommendation!)

H2ODoc:
..maybe take a Dr. with me
Only if s/he specializes in tropical medicine and is a good dive buddy. :lol2: (We had a physician on my first Roatan trip, and he kept calling the tanks "Oxygen.")

Nah, getting ill in Coz is very rare as long as you stick to the 2 beer rule. Have a fun trip...!

Scott Riemer:
Sorry but that's "Una mas cerveza, por favor."

A ha. Thanks. They'll know what I mean if I just say "una mas" right? It's tounge in cheek anyway - one or two beers is about my limit anymore these days - especially on a dive trip.

We chartered a 30 foot Catalina sailboat when we lived in SoCal and sailed with another couple to Catalina Island one weekend. The name of the boat was Uno Mas. I don't know why, but everyone that came by our mooring thought it was the funniest name for a boat. I guess its because it had that party atmosphere to the name... "just one more".

Thanks for the advice, all of you!

Scott Riemer:
Sorry but that's "Una mas cerveza, por favor."

Sorry, but that's "Tres mas cervesas, por favor." ;^)

Back
Top Bottom