What to bring to Coz???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always bring a small hot pot and "coffee singles" as I am an early riser (~5:00am!) and really enjoy drinking my coffee on a Caribe Blu balcony overlooking the ocean. Doesn't get much better than that! Well maybe sitting at Coconuts with a margarita and looking at that side of the ocean is good too!

Have fun!!
Jean

micknewton:
You're wrong on several points.

1. Dysentery is the term for severe diarrhea that is associated with blood in the feces, not necessarily an advanced bacterial infection.

2. Amoeba are a genus of protozoa, not a bacterium. Amoeba actually eat bacteria.

3. Amoebic Dysentery is caused by a parasitic amoeba, not a bacterium. Bacillary Dysentery (Shigellosis) is a foodborne illness caused by infection by bacteria of the genus Shigella.

You can take all the precautions imaginable and still get dysentery. If you do, then you'll very likely want something like Immodium to help with the cramps, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting and to keep you from ****ting your brains out before you can get to a doctor for treatment. Having diarrhea on the flight home is no picnic. I've seen it happen and it's no fun at all. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about here.

I'm not a Dr. but this is what was explained to me by more than one Dr. on this subject...just this weekend...based on my own encounter with it.

Christi:
I'm not a Dr. but this is what was explained to me by more than one Dr. on this subject...just this weekend...based on my own encounter with it.
I don't doubt that at all. I just wanted to point out that Imodium can be a big help, at least in many cases. You're right though that it shouldn't be considered an alternative to medical treatment for dysentery or any other serious health problem.

I'd also like to say that I've traveled to several parts of Mexico countless times over the past 51 years and I have never experienced any health problems, other than a minor sunburn or two.

micknewton:
I don't doubt that at all. I just wanted to point out that Imodium can be a big help, at least in many cases. You're right though that it shouldn't be considered an alternative to medical treatment for dysentery or any other serious health problem.

I'd also like to say that I've traveled to several parts of Mexico countless times over the past 51 years and I have never experienced any health problems, other than a minor sunburn or two.

Yes, definitely a help to coat the stomach and relieve some of the discomfort...but medical attantion should definitely be sought as well. Without treatment, there can be serious complications.

micknewton:

I have been told that Immodium can in some cases make things worse in the long run because diarrhea is your body's trying to get rid of something and Immodium stops it from doing so. I don't take it until after I've had a couple of... well, let's just say I don't take it immediately. Thankfully, it doesn't happen to me very often.

And I agree, sometimes it can be a great help, especially before a plane trip or a long boat ride.

Get a good safety sausage. Bigger is better, and I like the ones that you just roll up with a Velcro wrap around vs. the ones that come in a separate bag. When you have to deploy them, having a separate bag is a good way to loose the bag! Most clip off to a dring on a BC with a plastic clip.

Dry Bag. They are expensive if you want a good one (for a plastic bag), but they are very worthwhile. A large Zip lock can be used, but IMO a dry bag is very handy when you are boat diving, and in general. If you are on a six pack, a dry bag is a must if you want anything to keep dry. On larger boats they are less necessary, but still good to organize gear.

Garbage bags to haul wet gear. Having a few large 40 gallon style bags takes up no room or weight, but is invaluable if you have wet gear.

TSA locks. This is hardly a must, but I like the ones that tell you if you luggage has been searched.

Zip Ties. These handy lightweight THINGS are invaluable if you need to attach part A to part B!

Defog - You can certainly buy this in Coz, and likely other divers will share, but it's a must have unless you like using spit which some divers use.

Sink the Stink - another item you can purchase in Coz. I like to destink my wetsuit usually a couple times during a week of diving. For rentals this actually maybe MORE important as they tend to get riper quickly!

Silicon lube for camera orings. You should be keeping your Oring in good shape. I lube mine daily when diving.

I dove with a knife attached to my BC last January in Coz, but you are not suppose to have them. I never removed mine from the sheath. Gloves are also a no no in Coz. These are marine park rules, so don't be upset with the DM who tells you to leave knives or gloves on the boat.

jeancmo:
I always bring a small hot pot and "coffee singles" as I am an early riser (~5:00am!) and really enjoy drinking my coffee on a Caribe Blu balcony overlooking the ocean. Doesn't get much better than that! Well maybe sitting at Coconuts with a margarita and looking at that side of the ocean is good too!

Have fun!!
Jean
Hehe, here we go....

I take a $10 drip coffee maker, a pint each of regular and decaf coffee grounds per coffee drinker - more for longer trips, and dollar store coffee mugs. These are also available at the local super store there, I'm told. :coffee:

And as far as OTC meds, I carry a small plastic bottle of alcohol, one of vinegar, tube of antibiotic ointment, tube of hydrocortisone ointment, small bottle of calamine, etc in my dive bag for all trips - freshwater or ocean diving, and a tiny bottle of 50-50 alcohol-vinegar ear drops in my dive bag and in my toilet bag to rinse my ears after ever dive or shower - but how many suggestions do we want to list here...?

Oh well, let's list them all. 2 - 1# soft weights per diver are handy. Antihistamines the night before and morning of dives are helpful in preventing motion sickness.

DandyDon:
Hehe, here we go....

I take a $10 drip coffee maker, a pint each of regular and decaf coffee grounds per coffee drinker - more for longer trips, and dollar store coffee mugs. These are also available at the local super store there, I'm told. :coffee:

Save the space in your luggage and just go to Chedraui for a coffee pot, coffee and mugs. Much easier and right around the same price.

DandyDon:
Antihistamines the night before and morning of dives are helpful in preventing motion sickness.

Antihistamines are sleeping pills for me; I only take them when I am sick and want to sleep through it. I do take decongestants (Sudfed) before going out diving, though.

Back
Top Bottom