What to add to basic Rec rig?-Thanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay Cohen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’d like input on what gear I should add to my basic recreational diving rig. I plan for the near future to say within the rec limit of 130, but would like to have a solid rig that has redundancy, and not have to depend on my buddy in either a OOA or free flow event.

I understand that good gas management, a dive plan, and a bomb proof buddy, the need for ponies or H valves should not be needed, but sh-t happens and I’d like the idea of being able to handle underwater issues. BTW, I plan to be diving the Great Lakes.

Current gear: Balance BCD, Scuba Pro MK25/S600, Cobra 2, Dry Suit, AL 80.

My thoughts; HP120, 19 CF Pony.

The bigger tank will give me plenty of gas, the pony will take care of free flow reg (w/o the need for H-Valve) and can be handed off if buddy needs air. Plan to only use pony for dives >60’.

At some point, I’m going to look at the BP/W and all the goodies that go with DIR style, but for this year, I’d like to keep it simple and get more dives under my belt.

Thanks in advance.

I’d like input on what gear I should add to my basic recreational diving rig. I plan for the near future to say within the rec limit of 130, but would like to have a solid rig that has redundancy, and not have to depend on my buddy in either a OOA or free flow event.

Hands down the single most important item is a well trained team mate. I know this may sound impossible or impractical, but more equipment is not the answer.

Most newer divers have experienced "buddy failure" many times and most have never seen equipment failure. This leads to a miss placed reliance on more gear (pony bottles etc.)

Your pony bottle doesn't have a redundant brain......................

At some point, I’m going to look at the BP/W and all the goodies that go with DIR style, but for this year, I’d like to keep it simple and get more dives under my belt.

DIR and pony bottles don't mix.

Tobin

While you may not "need a pony" its always nice to have when sh*t happens...I only use mine on dives beyond 60ft.

You already know what you want to upgrade so in my opinion just do it. For the money you can get HP133's from faber and they are great tanks. I personally use one, but my bread and butter are lp95's...If your LDS is willing to do cave fills, they are a slightly cheaper alternitive.

Before you buy your HP tanks, make sure the place youy get your fills is capable of producing a 3442psi fill. Some shops just dont have the juice to get this done, which makes that big expensive tank a waste of time and money.

(Flame Suit On) I'd argue for not counting on a buddy at all. Plan your dives as if you were going at it alone. (Flame Suit Off)

You've posted previously about the desire to move into tec at some point. I'd look at an AL30, or AL40, that you sling. If you move into tec, you have a deco bottle. In the meantime an AL30 would be 1/3 of your back gas if you got into some HP 120 tanks.

A good dive reel with a lift bag. Start getting used to deploying it from depth.

A good canister light.

Would add a SPG and timing device. DC alone is not good enough.

I’d like input on what gear I should add to my basic recreational diving rig.

My thoughts; HP120, 19 CF Pony.

The bigger tank will give me plenty of gas, the pony will take care of free flow reg (w/o the need for H-Valve) and can be handed off if buddy needs air. Plan to only use pony for dives >60’.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE

Personally I always preferred LP bottles you know that you can get your rated fill pressure at the very least where ever you may travel. Scratch the pony, if you get a "pony mount" that can be easiliy disconnected for a handoff it will cost a decent amount and you could put that money into your stage reg. You can either buy a stage rigging kit or make your own up quite easily. I would recommend a slinging a 40 CF Ali moving forward you will get more use out it and the price difference between a 30CF and 40CF is so slight that I wouldn't even think about it, the 19 CF will not transition into your tech diving.

Guys;
Great replies. Nothing is written in stone yet, no purchases planned, as I'm still in pool sessions practicing skills(taking an Intro to Tech Class). I'll have to check with my local LDS for fill rate, along with quarries I dive at.

Thanks again guys, I do take all suggestions seriously.

Hi Jay,

Some of this has been covered but if I were to do it over again (with the idea of going down the tech road at some point) this is what I might do:

Fins: Solid, dependable. Replace the heel straps with springs.

Have two pockets on my drysuit.

SMB and 100ft. finger spool.

Two cutting tools. Small, blunt knife and EMT style shears. Both accessable with either hand.

Spare mask.

Wet notes. I have resisted these myself because of the price but grudgingly can see that tech diving may require more written information than can be stored/transmitted by slate.

Dive computer and backup. The back up could be a second DC capable of going into guage mode or a simple bottom timer/depth guage.

Convertable DIN/Yoke valves for current and subsequent tanks.

A second 1st/2nd stage reg with DIN connector and converting current 1st stage reg to DIN. This will allow for future doubles and/or your first Pony/Deco/stage tank.

5'-7' and 22" LP reg hoses.

40cuft. tank (currently used as Pony, later used for Deco/Stage).

Two quality B&G SPG's (one for back gas, one for stage).

This could all be dived on your current BC.

Your Al 80 can be used down the road as a stage but your next back gas tanks present a problem to be worked out. No easy answer. Some tech divers might just default to double HP 130's (or something similar) for max back gas but that's a lot of weight to hump around for lesser dives. Some guys I see use HP 100's as a more moderate solution and even twin Al 80's have their place. Some people avoid HP's because they can't get true fills and use LP's instead. Lots of research and navel gazing as to your plans for the future I suppose.

At some point I would then consider a BP/W with a conservative doubles wing plus a third DIN 1st stage.

Keep your current BC for singles diving and the BP/W for dedicated doubles diving.

That's just one suggestion for a basic shopping list. Of course you don't have to buy it all at once (or at all) but it could be a good "pathway" list. Each of these items can be used for both rec and tech diving and won't need to be replaced by a "better" solution down the road.

YMMV.

Good luck,
Dale.

really ?
Hands down the single most important item is a well trained team mate. I know this may sound impossible or impractical, but more equipment is not the answer.True .. but in your own words Impractical. so the anwswer is to be self relient. which means theres a benefit of having a pony bottle.

Most newer divers have experienced "buddy failure" many times and most have never seen equipment failure. This leads to a miss placed reliance on more gear (pony bottles etc.)That statement makes no sense... your buddy is nowhere to be seen but a pony is misplaced reliance ?

Your pony bottle doesn't have a redundant brain...................... No it doesn't have a brain at all.. its a piece of equipment to make diving safer.

DIR and pony bottles don't mix.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom