What Thickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driver49

Reaction score
My first post here... hope I'm following protocol.

I'm relatively new to diving, my wife and are now assembling our own gear. I'm wondering what's going to be the ideal thickness wetsuit to buy.

I expect we will typically dive in warm climes, but at different times of of the year so there will still be some fluctuation in water temps. For example, in April we were in Caymans; in Jan 05 we're going to Maui.

My dive shop recommended a ScubaPrio .5mil skin combined with a 3mil shorty;

A dive pro friend suggested we go straight for a Henderson Hyperstretch 5/7 jumpsuit;

I"m wondering if a 3mil jumpsuit/3mil shorty combination wouldn't give us more flexibility, though of course that would be the most expensive solution.

Would love to hear what others have to say on the subject.

Thanks,

--PS

driver49:
My first post here... hope I'm following protocol.

I'm relatively new to diving, my wife and are now assembling our own gear. I'm wondering what's going to be the ideal thickness wetsuit to buy.

I expect we will typically dive in warm climes, but at different times of of the year so there will still be some fluctuation in water temps. For example, in April we were in Caymans; in Jan 05 we're going to Maui.

A dive pro friend suggested we go straight for a Henderson Hyperstretch 5/7 jumpsuit;

I"m wondering if a 3mil jumpsuit/3mil shorty combination wouldn't give us more flexibility, though of course that would be the most expensive solution.

Would love to hear what others have to say on the subject.

Thanks,

--PS

Welcome !

I would (and did) go with a 3mm Henderson Gold Core Jumpsuit. The Gold Core is actually easier to get into and the inside dries super fast (even before your second dive). That's what I use for warmer climates. We did 17 dives in Maui around June and it was perfect. For that little extra warmth try a beenie (hood) or an extra vest with an attached hood.

Here ya go (pretty cheap right now $189)
http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.a...CategoryID=982&Context=980&Filter=1=446&4=468

Here's the vest/hood:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.a...CategoryID=982&Context=980&Filter=3=463&4=468

i have a 1 mil Mares Evolution full body suit and a 3 mil two piece. the two piece gives me a shorty and a farmer john. This combination gives me a lot of flexibility. layering also inceres warmth. i.e. two 3 mil suits is better than one 6 mil.

Shortys are great and comfortable and all that but for the exposure protection I would go with a full suit. When you dive in a shorty you may scuff your knee and say to yourself "hmm I think I just scratched my self...no biggie" but latter those little scratches on the tropical reefs take forever to heal and they hurt like heck. When there is current and or surge the problem is amplified. Go for a full suit with booties.

driver49:

If you are going to get just one wetsuit, I recommend a full 3mm or 3/2 (3mm on the core, 2mm on the lower legs and arms).

Don't bother with the 1/2 mil skin unless you are going to do a lot of diving in water warmer than 86F.

In January Maui will probably be in the mid to lower 70's. A lot of people are comfortable in a 3mm or 3/2 full wetsuit, particularly if they add a beanie.

Getting a 3mm shortie and layering that over the top of a 3mm full would add warmth, but I'd recommend getting a 5mm full or a 7/5 suit as your 2nd wetsuit rather than a shorty.

The only thing I use my old 3mm shorty for now is windsurfing.

The variable thickness suits like a 3/2 and a 7/5 have the advantage of having almost the same heat retention performance of an all 3mm or all 7mm wetsuit, but with less buoyancy and less buoyancy change with depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom