What the he** has happened to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaresMan1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just returned from Playa del Carmen (PdC) vacation. We stayed at Shangri-la Caribe, which I would recommend to anyone. On one of our trips we went diving in Cozumel, at the Chancanab reef. What the hell happened? I dove this reef 5 years ago and it was a total wonder. Now it looks like a bleached out remnant. On land the hotels on the northern end of the island are abandoned and the southern is sprouting resorts where there was jungle. I was very very saddened to see the new Cozumel.

The Chancanab reef which was mostly bleached out to the wall at 100 ft. The were not many fish either. It seemed like a ghost town. I remember so much activity. This is a major shock for me since I dove here 5 years ago. The reef is much better on the PdC side. Much more alive and full of creatures. Big turtles, tarpon. jacks, blennies, sargent majors, mores eels and more. I did not see any of this on Cozumel. What gives?

I dove with Cyan Ha dive shop. These guys are great. Look for Emilio and Reberto. They have great sites and they video tape all of the dives (if you don't want, don't buy). But the dives are great and the humor is a great addition. At this point. PdC is a much better spot to visit than Coz IMHO(sad to say).

I will be writting a report with pics as soon as they are available.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:mean:

I hit 8 different sites in March 2002 and found it to be beautiful, however, it was my first trip, so I don't have a frame of reference for changes. I'm used to SoCal, which is not unlike quarry diving with kelp and current/surge :)

mofosaurus once bubbled...
This is by far the worst review I have ever read about Coz.

Can anyone confirm this condition?

PdC has better diving than Cozumel?

Better than Palancar, Columbia, and Santa Rosa Wall?

Boy, I'm puzzled?:confused:

Can't compare to PDC but I have spent 30 days diving in Coz over the last 2 1/2 years. My last trip in May 03, I too was very concerned about the reef. Color not near as vibrant as even 2 years ago. Fish life is minimul as compared to old. Large creatures are not near as plentyful especially large fish. Used to be many large grouper on the reef. My last trip we spent over 15 hours underwater and never saw a grouper over 3 feet. I have been hearing about the Riviera being good diving. A friend got back about a month ago and said the diving was fantastic so I may have to give it a try next spring instead of going to Roatan.

Don't get me wrong, Coz is probably my favorite place it's just that the environment has been taken over my greed and the almighty peso. Taxi driver told us in high season there are more than 18 criuise ships a week. Hummm, think that might alter the ecosystem? We saw about 12 in a week while we were there.

They have ruined a wonderful island and atmosphere.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I was in Coz in May and the diving was excellent.

I dont care what it use to be, thats the past, but the present diving is excellent.

jepuskar once bubbled...

I dont care what it use to be, thats the past, but the present diving is excellent.

Are you serious!! You don’t care what it was like before. Don’t care that for those that have been there, can see that this reef looks as if it’s dieing?

Wyno once bubbled...

Are you serious!! You don’t care what it was like before. Don’t care that for those that have been there, can see that this reef looks as if it’s dieing?

Well, there's stuff you can do something about, and there's stuff you can't. The decline of the reef systems is global, and there's not much we, as divers, can do about it beyond being as careful as we can when we dive (and I am). Of course, there are political action groups, and the Sierra Club (etc.), but the reality is that such groups have relatively little impact when going up against Big Business.

I agree with the person you take issue with to the extent that what the reef looked like 20 years ago, or 2 years ago, is of little consequence now when I go diving; it is what it is, and I want to experience the Coz reef system as long as it is still viable.

That's not to say that reef decline is not lamentable, or that I don't care that it is happening, but whether it's cruise ships, or global warming, or nuclear testing that's doing the damage, it's beyond my means to stop it. I want to get out and see it while it's still there; I will "leave only bubbles and take only pictures", and I will do everything in my power otherwise not do anything to contribute to the reefs' decline while I'm down there.

jepuskar once bubbled...
I'm not sure what the problem is, but I was in Coz in May and the diving was excellent.

Jep,

Come on. You don't care what it use to be? Explain yourself man!

Even if it's still "good", it's not as good as it use to be and we all need to be concerned. Your attitude is the first step to complacency. That's not the new and improved Jepuskar we know.

ggunn once bubbled...

Well, there's stuff you can do something about, and there's stuff you can't. The decline of the reef systems is global, and there's not much we, as divers, can do about it beyond being as careful as we can when we dive (and I am). Of course, there are political action groups, and the Sierra Club (etc.), but the reality is that such groups have relatively little impact when going up against Big Business.

I’m well aware this could be global warming or whatever. But to not be concerned about it, that is what I was concerned about.

Wyno once bubbled...

I’m well aware this could be global warming or whatever. But to not be concerned about it, that is what I was concerned about.

FWIW, I didn't read jepuskar's statement to read that he/she was unconcerned if the reef is dying. I read it to mean that what the reef looked like years ago is not of great concern to someone diving it today for the first time.

As always, YMMV... ;^)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom