What the he** has happened to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in Cozumel this past January and found the reefs in excellent shape, but I did not dive Chankanaab. The only thing that I found that bothered me is how Cozumel is getting WAY to touristy and starting to lose its flavor. I like Mcdonalds and Burger King and other fast food joints but really don't like seeing them on an Island like Cozumel. The cruise ships dump thousands of people daily on the Island and when this happens it is best to be out diving or drive over to the other side of the Island for peace and a Dos Equis:wink: I prefer Cozumel to stay exotic

At the risk of being flamed, this junior member would hazard the opinion that we can dive responsibly in order to protect the reef, but also look at supporting environmental organizations that fight global warming. On a personal level we can try and consume fewer resources ourselves. I think that the big all-inclusive luxurious resorts contribute to mangrove destruction and reef decline. So why stay there if you love the reef?

Just saw on the ticker on some news channel while at the gym that scientists have concluded that reef degradation started over a century ago. Didnt see the whole story, thats all i got ( i was wheezing on the treadmill) I would be interested in the whole story. I thought that man was responsible for the fast decline of the reef systems in the world. (although im still not convinced hes not)

A few members on this thread have said that 'they're fine with the way things are new in Coz. and besides what can I do about it now'. I'll tell you what you can do, STOP GOING THERE! The only reason the area has gotten so exploited it becasue the mighty peso has spoken and the business listened. If you stop going and thus stop spending your $$ there the message will be heard loud and clear. And yes even one person or maybe two not going because of the condition of the reef makes a huge difference. As long as we always turn a blind eye to something like this it will perpetuate.

If we, of all people, aren't part of this solution then only we are to blame for its loss and destruction.

A'

scuba buddha once bubbled...
A few members on this thread have said that 'they're fine with the way things are new in Coz. and besides what can I do about it now'. I'll tell you what you can do, STOP GOING THERE! The only reason the area has gotten so exploited it becasue the mighty peso has spoken and the business listened. If you stop going and thus stop spending your $$ there the message will be heard loud and clear. And yes even one person or maybe two not going because of the condition of the reef makes a huge difference. As long as we always turn a blind eye to something like this it will perpetuate.

If we, of all people, aren't part of this solution then only we are to blame for its loss and destruction.

A'

So if I quit vacationing in one of the best and cheapest spots in this hemisphere, that is going to somehow stop the cruise ships from coming in and destroying the reef? I think not. Mexico knows that Cozumel is famous because of the diving, which is why they at least have taken the few steps they have. Get rid of the divers and they will see no reason to continue to try to protect the reefs.

and I would like to see these fragile systems protected a lot better. (ie- no more all-inclusives or cruise ships...dislike both of them really.) In the Cayamans, they're actually cutting through the reefs for a new cruise ship dock area...the Mayan Riviera is experiencing a LOT of new high end all-inclusives that are destroying the mangroves which help with fresh water run off and dump their wastes into an ecosystem that cannot handle it. (Personally, I prefer the more eco friendly places around there anyway as the service you get is much more personable than the large places that can afford to advertise rather than relying on word of mouth alone.)
Interestingly enough, I have seen several shows and articles on what is causing some of the coral depletion. They're finding that the sands from Africa are blowing into the Carribbean with the high level tropical winds that blow in this time of year. It'd be interesting to know exactly how much this is effecting our precious reefs. (Along with the damage we're causing to them.) I'd also like to know the effects of the sunscreen so many people use have on them too, since 99% of the people that go to these places don't realise the oily residues also contribute to killing corals.

To hell with it, torpedo the cruise ships.

Protects the reefs, and we get new wrecks to dive.

Works for me!

PhotoTJ once bubbled...
To hell with it, torpedo the cruise ships.

Protects the reefs, and we get new wrecks to dive.

Works for me!

No, keep the cruise ships, just send them to places that don't have good diving. Imagine if there were no cruise ships....you'd have to deal with the "cruise ship crowd" all week, not just for the one day they were in port.....

Back
Top Bottom