What size pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjenbody

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm in the market for a pony and not sure what size. I'm currently diving in a river where we dive it as if it were an overhead environment and I plan on doing some wreck diving with penetration. At this time I'm leaning toward a 30 or 40, but would like some imput from some divers with more experience.

I definetly WOULDN'T go smaller than a 30. What is your height? I'm pretty tall, about 6 foot 3, and I tried slinging a 30 and found it a little short, with the bottom banging into my hip/thigh. The 40 was more comfortable for me, and I honestly never notice it. The other reason for me to go with a 40 was because it will be getting used as a deco bottle in the future, and with me not being a small guy, I opted for the bigger bottle.

Jim

If you are serious about wreck penetration and overhead environments, then IMO you should be looking into doubles, not a pony.

What is the primary purpose of this pony? I use mine as a bailout bottle. IOW's I don't plan on using it at all unless my primary reg fails. For that I use a 19CF bottle as it will get me to the surface of any rec dive with a safety stop.

I would suggest that if you are going to go tech, get trained and do so. Advanced Nitrox and Deco classes require doubles. A 40CF bottle is a good stage bottle, so you would not waste your money if you purchase that and then go tech. If you are looking for extra gas to extend your diving, that is not what a pony is intended to do.

It sounds like you have some ideas about when and where you will be taking the pony bottle. Now put some numbers to those ideas and get an answer based on assumptions. You can be as liberal or conservative as you want but at least you'll know how it all works. See this old post.

You will want to consider the "virtual overhead" of the river as the initial bottom time and work your way to the surface from there.

The combined penetration and likely depth of most wrecks will drive the size up. And as Ron mentioned above may suggest doubles.

Pete

rjenbody:
I'm in the market for a pony and not sure what size. I'm currently diving in a river where we dive it as if it were an overhead environment and I plan on doing some wreck diving with penetration. At this time I'm leaning toward a 30 or 40, but would like some imput from some divers with more experience.

This is a VERY broad question.

To address the 1st part of your question, it all depends on what you are going to use it for and this will undoubtedly spark a long debate. But basically, if you are going to use it strictly as a bail out, then you need to know your SAC rate and the depths you plan to use it at. In order to account for an all out failure (like where the hell did your buddy go?) you need to plan for an elevated SAC and the time required to deal with the problem at your maximum depth, plus a normal ascent. If you're wondering how to figure all this out, do a search on Gas Planning and go from there but it's absolutely necessary for you to understand this before making any decisions on whether you should even be using a pony at all.

Wreck penetration with a pony - definitely not.

At this point doubles are out. I've dumped between 2 and 3 grand on gear this year already and the wife has been reasonably patient with it, but if I told her I need another $500 (I own 1 hp120 now) to get me into doubles she might freak.

My first inclination was to go for the 40, figuring more air is better, but heard that most guys go with a 19. Why 19 when the price difference and size difference are not that great? Got me. I think now that my first inclination for the 40 was right, as it would make for a stage bottle down the road.

That post with the math was interesting though, made me think at least a 30, especially since I'm a first class "hoover".

If you're a Hoover, I would definetly suggest the 40. Like several people have said, it will work for a stage bottle in the future. A 19 serves no real purpose for deco/stage bottles, so if you do end up in doubles, the 19 just pretty much lost all use to you.

rjenbody:
At this point doubles are out. I've dumped between 2 and 3 grand on gear this year already and the wife has been reasonably patient with it, but if I told her I need another $500 (I own 1 hp120 now) to get me into doubles she might freak.

My first inclination was to go for the 40, figuring more air is better, but heard that most guys go with a 19. Why 19 when the price difference and size difference are not that great? Got me. I think now that my first inclination for the 40 was right, as it would make for a stage bottle down the road.

That post with the math was interesting though, made me think at least a 30, especially since I'm a first class "hoover".

Understand that if you are a "Hoover" a bigger pony will only contribute to this. Start with gas planning, careful consideration of your real needs and refining your technique before throwing gear at the problem (if there is in fact a problem).

While it sounds like I'm talking you out of a pony, I should point out that I carry one. However, my needs and application for it are undoubtedly different from yours.

rjenbody:
Why 19 when the price difference and size difference are not that great? Got me.

I use my pony mainly when I travel. I sometimes end up diving solo, and with some of the buddies I've had, SOLO with a buddy about describes it! :shakehead:

The 19 is popular because it's enough gas to get one out of a jam even at 120 feet, and too the surface safely. It's small enough to travel with as well. So there is your answer.

As stated, it's all about the intent.

IMO get a bottle you can use as a stage bottle down the road. Keep in mind you WILL need another regulator, so that factors in.

With your diving experience, you may want to hold off on any serious penetration until you can afford both the equipment and the training. Advanced Nitrox and Deco classes are about $500, AND you need three regulators, a stage bottle, and doubles.

You can rent the equipment, but that is not cheap either. The good news is this is NOT a race, and you don't NEED to do penetration to enjoy a wreck.

Hmmm, responding to the Op--do not use a pony for intentional penetration diving--no--no-no--this is where doubles would be appropriate, not a pony.

For most diving within sport diving deco limits a 19 cf is adequate and is whart I use when I use a pony. If I know I am going deep or there maybe a potential hazard I might sling a 30 instead.

BTW, I recently and intentionally left bottom at close to 140 feet, did a normal ascent and safety stop on a 19 with air to spare. I don't use a lot of air and I have been diving a long time, if you are worried about it then a 30 is not terribly hard to carry but a slung 19 is virtually invisible by contrast.

N

Back
Top Bottom