What size outboard are you running

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Guys,

Thanks! I've been perusing the details of the Suzuki and the yes - the 9.8 is the same weight as a 15 @ 97 lbs for a short shaft. The Tohatsu (nice engines) comes in at 81.5lbs for a 9.8 short shaft and 114lbs for a 15 hp short shaft.

At the end of the day I'd like to get a motor which has more than adequate horses and me to evolve into the kind of man brave enougt to admit to his wife that needs help getting the thing off the transom. :) That being said rectal hernias hurt. :D

X

Well, you do have a trailer, so all you really need is some kind of big bucket to put under the engine to rinse it out afterward. If you plan on carrying it around, make/buy one of those outboard carts with wheels. The lifting on and off part isn't too bad, it's that damn carrying the engine from the garage or side of the house to the boat that gets me.

Luckily for you Mr. X, that error on the Suzuki website is in your favor :)

As Danno said, they've got carts to help you move it around. Now that you've decided 15hp is a definite, for me it would come down to price, warranty, and support (and not necessarily in that order). Dealer support and proximity would be very important factors for me.

Seems new is way more than I would be willing to pay.

So just who do you believe for the weight?
Check the weight listing here.

The older Merc and the current Yamaha 25 two stroke weigh about 100 pounds, short shaft, rope start. The starter adds about 10 pounds I think.

Small inflatable transom may be limited due to flex. I have seen thicker one piece floor board bolted to transom to make the floorboard and transom one solid unit. I use the lightest 15hp 2 stroke on my small inflatable. For 2 people with gear it is OK. 3 people with gear borderline. It is a Mercury. It flys with 2 people no gear. I think a 4 stroke may be too heavy.

You may not be happy with the performance of a 15 hp as more weight is added. If I had to do it over again, I would get a boat that could handle a minimum 25hp. But I could never of afforded it when I was a student like my small inflatable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom