What should one pay for a used aluminum 80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in the market for 4 used aluminum 80's. I realize hydrostatic inspection needs to be factored in the value along with brand and mfg. date. However, is there a formula I should use, say hypothetically, a tank in good condition is worth $100.00 - less $10.00 per year from last hydro? So if the hyrdo was up this year it would be worth 50 bucks? Is this close?

Second, based on brand and age is the a generally probablility that a specific tank would fail hydro thus having a residual value of current scrap aluminum rates that should also be factored in?

Thanks,

'bob

No more than $40

Someone just asked this - $80 is reasonable for a cylinder in hydro, current viz, and good valve (aka Sheerwood 5000). If a Luxfer make sure it was made after 1987 as to say yourself some head aches (Catalinas any date).

Unless it was just hydro'd, I wouldn't give more than $50 for it. I've bought several for $50 or less.

If you can wait till Christmas, look at Liesure Pro. Last year I purchased two new at $134.99 each with free shipping and no sales tax. They came with new Sherwood 5000 valves. All I had to do was have a visual done and fill. I have gone to 3 different shops near where I live, one shop will not fill a tank with a 1988 date and the other two shops will not fill a tank with a 1989 date? Depending on the last Hydro. From what I understand if it's a Sherwood tank it can be used, but if it's a luxfer tank it can't. I don't know why the two different dates, but I'm sure someone here can give the correct information. I think it has to do with the type of aluminum (alloys) that was used.

Luxfer used 6351 alloy in the manufacture of their tanks between '72 and '88, which was found to cause problems, primarily in the neck and threads (with a few cases of explosive failure).
I'm not sure I'd use an aluminum tank approaching twenty years to begin with, however, if it's a Luxfer, and it's prior to '89, you need to be especially wary...

Now, everyone's using 6061 alloy.

That having been said, I own Luxfer (al), Catalina (al), and Worthington (steel) tanks, and I'm happy with all of them (however, I'm switching to all steel from here on in - more expensive, but the upside is enormous).

You seem to have a handle on the variables.

Work from the going price of a new one including the total cost of acquisition such as local taxes, shipping etc, etc. Right now we can get AL80 with boot and valves for $150 + 5% state sales tax. The next shipment will be selling for more. I am told aluminum is at a premium like most metals right now.

Obviously you want to be ending up with a savings that makes it worth your while to take on a cylinder that may have a less than fresh VIP and hydro status. If they are out of hydro or VIP then you are taking on some added risk and expense.

A late model tank perhaps a year or 2 out of hydro from a diver that did not stick with the sport might easily be worth $100. minus the local VIP charge. So perhaps $85 for most of us.

As the years pile up and condition goes down you end up perhaps at $20 if it needs hydro and VIP right out of the chute. That gets most of us into a used cylinder for $50. - $60 total.

All of this assumes a good enough valve, otherwise deduct more

The Luxfer 6351 alloy is one problem. Another is that some shops are getting fussy about any cylinder over 20 years old. A local shop does VIPs on pre 1990 aluminum cylinders for $120!

The cost of buying new is the benchmark you need to do better than.

Pete

If you can wait till Christmas, look at Liesure Pro. Last year I purchased two new at $134.99 each with free shipping and no sales tax. They came with new Sherwood 5000 valves. All I had to do was have a visual done and fill. I have gone to 3 different shops near where I live, one shop will not fill a tank with a 1988 date and the other two shops will not fill a tank with a 1989 date? Depending on the last Hydro. From what I understand if it's a Sherwood tank it can be used, but if it's a luxfer tank it can't. I don't know why the two different dates, but I'm sure someone here can give the correct information. I think it has to do with the type of aluminum (alloys) that was used.

If you ask, they will also ship you a VIP + decal with a new tank at no extra charge...........

Back
Top Bottom