What should one pay for a used aluminum 80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luxfer used 6351 alloy in the manufacture of their tanks between '72 and '88, which was found to cause problems, primarily in the neck and threads (with a few cases of explosive failure).
I'm not sure I'd use an aluminum tank approaching twenty years to begin with, however, if it's a Luxfer, and it's prior to '89, you need to be especially wary...

Now, everyone's using 6061 alloy.

That having been said, I own Luxfer (al), Catalina (al), and Worthington (steel) tanks, and I'm happy with all of them (however, I'm switching to all steel from here on in - more expensive, but the upside is enormous).

A lot of air fill stations wont even fill the Luxfer tanks unless you have a VIP Plus decal on it. Even if it is post 1988.......

You seem to have a handle on the variables.

Work from the going price of a new one including the total cost of acquisition such as local taxes, shipping etc, etc. Right now we can get AL80 with boot and valves for $150 + 5% state sales tax. The next shipment will be selling for more. I am told aluminum is at a premium like most metals right now.

Obviously you want to be ending up with a savings that makes it worth your while to take on a cylinder that may have a less than fresh VIP and hydro status. If they are out of hydro or VIP then you are taking on some added risk and expense.

A late model tank perhaps a year or 2 out of hydro from a diver that did not stick with the sport might easily be worth $100. minus the local VIP charge. So perhaps $85 for most of us.

As the years pile up and condition goes down you end up perhaps at $20 if it needs hydro and VIP right out of the chute. That gets most of us into a used cylinder for $50. - $60 total.

All of this assumes a good enough valve, otherwise deduct more

The Luxfer 6351 alloy is one problem. Another is that some shops are getting fussy about any cylinder over 20 years old. A local shop does VIPs on pre 1990 aluminum cylinders for $120!

The cost of buying new is the benchmark you need to do better than.

Pete

Pete: Why would a LDS charge $120 for a VIP on an older tank. The inspection process would be the same for a 1 year old tank or a 20 year old tank. Most of the LDS in my area also does the eddy testing (VIP+) on AL tanks also. I am paying $8.00 per tank that includes a eddy test.

I dont even look at aluminum tanks used if they are on ebay or not available for me to inspect. I know 2 many people who picked up al80's on ebay for cheap cause they were used but failed hydro and/or VIP.

Fill express (Dive Rite Express) is my new tank source, they always have all the sizes in stock and ready for shipment with new VIP and hydro and they are O2 clean. Plus the brushed no coat finish is mega cool ;-)

I own4 catalina, 2 luxfer, 1 worthington, and 4 other misc (older) tanks that are from a variety of manufactures and all pass VIP/hydro thus far. I have paid between $125 and $179 for aluminum tanks depending on size new.

Pete: Why would a LDS charge $120 for a VIP on an older tank. The inspection process would be the same for a 1 year old tank or a 20 year old tank. Most of the LDS in my area also does the eddy testing (VIP+) on AL tanks also. I am paying $8.00 per tank that includes a eddy test.

I think it's his way of saying" go away" or "buy a new one".

Consider steel - so many benefits - I have 4 steel and am buying 2 more (also have 4 AL purchased before I became a convert)

Just my 2 cents, but if I was considering purchase of tanks, I'd go for steel - a little more $$ but so much more value

I went from 12 - 14 lbs of lead to 0 - 4 lbs - you have to use a tank anyway so at least let it work for you - I know you are looking at used, but check out Divers Direct/World water Sports - they had Steel 80's (not my 1st choice - I'd go w/ 100's) cheap and they were new. I believe about the price of a new AL.

Wow. Here in NZ you pay $200-$300 for a used ali tank.

I paid $450 for a 65cf tank and valve O2 cleaned and stickered. New
exchange rate NZ$1 = US $.75

I think it comes down to the shipping costs and the fact the local distributors are shafting the retailers who then feel its fair to shaft the end user.

Consider steel - so many benefits - I have 4 steel and am buying 2 more (also have 4 AL purchased before I became a convert)

Just my 2 cents, but if I was considering purchase of tanks, I'd go for steel - a little more $$ but so much more value

I went from 12 - 14 lbs of lead to 0 - 4 lbs - you have to use a tank anyway so at least let it work for you - I know you are looking at used, but check out Divers Direct/World water Sports - they had Steel 80's (not my 1st choice - I'd go w/ 100's) cheap and they were new. I believe about the price of a new AL.
I don't believe steel tanks would be an advantage for me. Not to to turn this into a steel vs. aluminum thread but I live in the Southwest and the local diving I do is often in water of 90 degrees + so I don't need the weight and what weight I do add I want it to be ditchable. I never quite understood the weight advantage of steel thing anyway unless your diving really thick wetsuits or drysuits. What is the difference of having the weight on your hip/BCD vs. on your back. I would rather have lighter tanks when lugging back and forth from the fill site, truck, garage, etc. and deal with heaviest weight at the dive site.

Furthermore, I prefer to dive abroad so my local diving is limited to justify the added expense of steel. Owning my own tanks will not likely result in monetary savings but for convenience so I don't want to spend more than I have to.

Finding used steel tanks in Arizona is rare. Quite a few aluminums available but most of them must be plated in gold for what people want for them here. I talked to a guy on Craigs list yesterday who was advertising AL80's. Come to find out his tanks were 25 years old and out of hydro. He was trying to convince me his price of $75.00 bucks each was a good deal. I told him he should trying breathing the air left in the tanks... it might clear the glue fumes out of his head he had been sniffing!

Thanks for the input.

'bob

Bob,

Your value perception of a steel cylinder is right on. For a warm water diver it is not nearly as important. If you want to be 12 pounds heavier that's not a big deal when you're wearing a shorty and as you said what little weight you need you want to have be ditchable.

Take a cold water diver encumbered in a drysuit of full blown 7mm wetsuit with 2X on the core with the requsite weight and it means a lot more. When I travel to warm water I don't really consider an AL80 to be a hardship.

As for never having understood why we cold water divers love our steel cylinders this may be a worthwhile read.

Pete

You're looking at 149 - your 10% discount for a new Aluminum 80 Tank and your choice of color - new genesis valve (nicer than the sherwoods - have an extended burst disk holder that makes them great for carrying) and a free tank cap and a vis sticker... That comes to 135 plus the shipping is anywhere from 10 - 20 bucks depending where you are - so unless you can get one with a good valve and hydro for 60 - 70, I'd say it wouldn't be worth getting used.

But if it's local, good hydro and you can get one for 50 or 60 - as long as it's a newer tank, I'd say go for it!

My search for a good deal on used tanks has produced very little (one so far) that I felt represented a good value for age and current state of hydro and vis inspection.

However, a LDS is having an upcoming "End of season sale" and is selling several of their aluminum 80's rentals for $110.00 each. I talked to the shop and they claim these tanks are less than a year old since new having a current visual inpsection and 4+ years on the hydro. Not to mention boot and valve cover, etc.

This seams like a fair price considering their age. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

'bob

Back
Top Bottom