What should I wear for multi-day repetitive dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm heading on a live aboard to Truk in Nov. and I have a full 3mm and i'm worried about getting a chill on the 3-4 dive of the day or later in the week. Would wearing a vest under the full suit make sense?

I dove in 85F water 5 times a day and didn't get cold in my 3mm shorty. I'll be doing 5 this saturday aboard a liveaboard in the Gulf in similar conditions. I put on a 1 mil beenie to keep my bald head from getting sunburned and I find it makes a huge difference in getting chilled. When I wear out this suit, I'll probably get a full length 3mm. I think you'll be fine with any of the options you listed.

lil_chure:
I'm heading on a live aboard to Truk in Nov. and I have a full 3mm and i'm worried about getting a chill on the 3-4 dive of the day or later in the week. Would wearing a vest under the full suit make sense?

A vest is an excellent layering item, be sure to use it before you loose the body heat. If you find yourself too warm you can always set is aside as the day goes on.

Pete

spectrum:
A vest is an excellent layering item, be sure to use it before you loose the body heat. If you find yourself too warm you can always set is aside as the day goes on.

Pete

Would you recommend a 1mm or 3mm hooded vest to wear under a 3mm full suit?

Thanks

More is better for repetitive dives, go 3mm. If you really feel like you're getting too hot while diving, you can always pump water through your neck seal.

In the Dry Tourtugas dives (5to7per day) I started to get cool at the end of the first dive in a good/new 3/2 fullsuit with 5mm boots in 81* water .. I changed from reef gloves to 5mm and was fine all the rest of the dives I did (11) .. funny how just changing the gloves did the trick .. others were putting on 3mm hooded vests
For me, I think a full 3mm would have been perfect, cause I loved having the dexterity of the reef gloves

Layering is the key... and whatever full suit you go with, make sure it has articulated elbows and knees, otherwise it will negatively affect the circulation to your extremities. Also, the neck fit is critical... might want to find one with a gussetted front zipper to release tension when you're doing your SI.

A full 3mm, plus a 2mm hooded vest should be good. If you get a 2.5mm shorty for summer diving, that could also be useful for layering.

Keep in mind that you can't overheat unless the water temp exceeds 95 degrees or you are working excessively for more than about 5 minutes. When you are out of the water, If it's during summer, just unzip and roll down the top of the suit.

Though they are more expensive.. I like the "Waterproof" wetsuit line out of Sweden. They are available in the US. Fit, finish, and ergonomics are wonderful. Take a look at the Capri 3mm.

3mm or 5mm and add a hooded vest as you get chilled.

A 5 mil with a hood or beanie. I wear a 5 or 7 mil henderson gold core. And may combine a core vest with hood. depends on how I am feeling with the 5 mil. Or a hood with the 7 mil.

If i do get too hot...just open neck seal and let the water in I rather not get any chills especially if I paid for a dive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom