What should I wear for multi-day repetitive dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I worked on boats in the Carib. I would wear a 3mm full suit with a 3mm hooded vest. If I was too warm, flush some water in. If I was too cold, pull on the hood. On a live aboard you'll be diving 5 dives a day. By the middle of the week you'll be getting cold allot earlier in the day and the dive due to thermal deficit (SP?). When I worked in the Keys I had a 3mm farmer john and a 3 mm shorty. The full suit and hooded vest seem to trap less air and feels warmer. I'm pretty skinny, if this comb. works for me, it should work for you too. Longer surface intervals also seem to help get your core temp. back up after a dive. Most people only stay out the min. the computer tells them before they head back in. They also tended to dive to the limits of the computers, air supply permitting, in most cases. They never seemed to fully warm up from the last dive before going back in to start the heat sucking process all over agian. By the night dive you'll be getting chilly in 20-30 minutes on Wed.

I tend to wear as much as reasonable, so long as I'm not actively overheating. It seems most people try for the opposite end, wearing as little extra as possible while not becoming too chilled. Rarely do I have to drop below an old 5/4, and if it's borderline, I wear it and occasionally flush some cooling water through.

Of course, if you're planning on fighting a current all dive or doing something strenuous, drop down a step, but if your diving's going to burn fewer calories than a walk in the park, go with as warm as you can be comfortable in. (Of course, I also never go beyond a 5/4 wetsuit, as I jump right to dry -- for me, a 7mm just isn't something I want to deal with, so I understand people feeling the same way about, say, my 5/4. :biggrin:)

I tend to wear as much as reasonable, so long as I'm not actively overheating. It seems most people try for the opposite end, wearing as little extra as possible while not becoming too chilled. Rarely do I have to drop below an old 5/4, and if it's borderline, I wear it and occasionally flush some cooling water through.

Of course, if you're planning on fighting a current all dive or doing something strenuous, drop down a step, but if your diving's going to burn fewer calories than a walk in the park, go with as warm as you can be comfortable in. (Of course, I also never go beyond a 5/4 wetsuit, as I jump right to dry -- for me, a 7mm just isn't something I want to deal with, so I understand people feeling the same way about, say, my 5/4. :biggrin:)

Clayjar, we need to plan a trip to the Flower Gardens later this spring, think Dandy Don from here is wanting to.....Let us know if you're interested.......

That seems to be the consensus everywhere I read. I never get cold with just a shorty but I've never been on a liveaboard. I guess I'll continue to look for a 3mm then. But I'll pass on the hood and gloves :D I'll leave those for my dry suit diving.

There is a falicy in your satatement. Studies have shown that the human body looses most of it's heat through exposure of the hands and head (don't ask for foot notes or references, I am quoting the NOAA Diving Manual). Even one of thoes beenie caps that surfers wear and a light pair of warm water diving gloves are better than nothing. As porous as they are I even notice a slight insulation value from the orange sticky palm nylon knit gloves I wear doing underwater construction. Gardening gloves might even help a little bit if you find your chilling on the last dive.

ClayJar, we need to plan a trip to the Flower Gardens later this spring, think Dandy Don from here is wanting to.....Let us know if you're interested.......
As long as it's not during a checkout trip I'm working, I'd love to get out to the Flower Gardens. (I haven't made it there yet.) Perhaps some of J.'s family would actually dive such a trip, too. :wink: It's probably worth its own thread in Deep Dixie's Trips forum.

MudDiver, The reason they mention the fingers is that they have the greatest surface area compared to the amount of blood circulated. That said, many nature preserves do not allow divers to wear gloves (Cayman Islands, for example). Putting aside hands... underarms, inner thighs, and head shed the most heat. A hood is the simplest fix for most people who are getting cold. I bring a seperate hood along with me and find it makes a tremendous difference.

Back
Top Bottom