What should I have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to have to figure out a solution to the loose boots issue. Part of the problem is that my feet are right between boot sizes for Diving Concepts; the 4's were too small and uncomfortable, and the 5's are sloppy. I have fin keepers on them and that seemed to do the trick, but I'd never had made a sudden, really strong effort with my fins that I can remember, certainly not since I started using the new socks. I may have to change what I'm wearing on my feet.

It took the combination of the air moving up when I up-ended AND the strong kicking to kick them off, but it's circumstances like that when you really don't want such a thing to happen, as I learned the hard way.

Regarding expediting the trip to the surface, the two air-sharing divers were also executing the Tech 1 6 minute ascent from 20 feet, so signalling them might well have expedited their ascent (since, having no deco obligation, they really didn't NEED to take six minutes to come up). Also, to my understanding, Peter could NOT see my light and did NOT know where I was.

Just to be clear, are your boots attached to your drysuit (as opposed to a Rock Boot type of boot)?

Yes, they're the attached boots.

TSandM:
Regarding expediting the trip to the surface, the two air-sharing divers were also executing the Tech 1 6 minute ascent from 20 feet, so signalling them might well have expedited their ascent (since, having no deco obligation, they really didn't NEED to take six minutes to come up). Also, to my understanding, Peter could NOT see my light and did NOT know where I was.
That's the information I was looking for ... in which case signaling them to end the drill would've been prudent.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

do it easy:
The signal for "low on air" is a fist to the chest, so wouldn't a fist to the forehead be "low on brains"? :D

We have an agreed “low on brains” sign, and it IS fist to the head, but to the side. Like “dizzy’ but with a fist. It’s an agreed ultimate warning that one is about to lose it, one step from freaking out, too scared, not functioning normally but not necessarily knowing why.

The agreed response is for the other one to immediately take the lead, not even trust the other one to respond normally (because they have claimed lack of normal qualities already), and for the exit to begin.

This is a red alert sign we agreed upon, and hope never to need but wish that it would save some time (no wetnote pulling – might not be able to explain what’s going on anyway, or the sign might just express quickly that the degree of freakedness is approaching panic).

Is there any more commonly used sign for this? I guess I like to express more than thumb… So team knows they might need to watch me if I am deteriorating…

piikki:
Is there any more commonly used sign for this? I guess I like to express more than thumb… So team knows they might need to watch me if I am deteriorating…

Point at self, then a flat hand palm down. Rotate back and forth ~20degs in line with the wrist.

= me, so-so

OR

point at side of head with finger and twirl = me, loopy

rjack321:
This can interpreted in different ways. We sometime dive with Italian divers and for them it's a sign for "Hey you, think about it" and for us it "You're stupid". Guess what can happen :D when you show the sign several times during the dive to a wrong guy.

Well now you see. Here’s the female/male difference I guess. We need more to talk about. :D

rjack321:
Point at self, then a flat hand palm down. Rotate back and forth ~20degs in line with the wrist.

= me, so-so

That sign I use when for example I am in current and my new drysuit gives me trouble… “Me iffy”, “Don’t rush, I am not in full control”. Or that is the sign I’d give if fins flew off me. I’d show buddy I am “so-so”. Then I’d start correcting the prob and buddy would see I am fiddling with fins and know why I am so-so. If I couldn’t do it I’d write it down to get her to pull them up etc.

rjack321:

This goes for dizzy and narc’ed and otherwise whoopy-headed and is to me generally more serious than the “so-so”.

But if I really felt I was about to lose it and my buddy is unaware, I am going to give a sign that indicates “no negotiation, no pausing to correct anything”, just “lets go and be warned I might start losing it even more”. This cuts out showing locations of pain or problem and trying to rectify. It just shows the degree of urgency but in addition to thumb gives buddy the “right” to be more bossy.

Hope this makes some sense.

I don't understand the need for a long continuum of "not right" signs :huh: One or two should get the job done no?
Flat hand rotating = likely physical issue or just plain spooked, pause and correct
Finger rotating while pointing at side of head = dizzy, narced etc. Brain not all there. AKA I need help making decisions and getting out of here. If this is the case, I as a buddy would be: 1) responding with a thumb and, 2) anticipating worsening symptoms.

As far as diving with Italians, I think Monkseal is stuck with the cross-cultural issues. :D

Really, a lot of it is contextual. I think that I would have a different response if my buddy is flailing around and giving me the "You're stupid" sign versus calmly floating and giving me the "Hey you, think about it" sign. :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom