What should I have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KMD:
Basically, a thinking diver.
Occasionally ... :wink:

KMD:
Lynne, I am so going to sneak up on you in Coz and inflate your wetsuit booties with air. :D
That sounds like fun ... can I help? :D

A comment about "stopping the exercise" (since Rob also mentioned it). What is the "default" response in an OOA? Shouldn't these divers already be making an expeditious ascent to the surface? Will stopping the exercise get them there any quicker?

Curious what your thinking is on that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

piikki:
Referring to posts #65 and 66, do you assign buddy ID-tags in DIR team, ie member # 1, 2, 3? I thought so - so then what are the hand signals for, say member #2? (eg, where is #2??)

Is Bob's description of team re-arrangement after some members hooking onto common reg the DIR way of understanding it? Ie, buddies will change even if dive plan had designated different teams? Thanks

yes, members are numbered 1,2,3 (but not with bits of paper ?)

To ask where #2 is you make the "Question mark" sign, and then hold up 2 fingers palm facing the person you are asking. I sometimes punctuate this by waving my arm around a little if it doesn't sink in at first (to indicate look ... not there)

You re-order in cases like OOA, light failure etc. Each person is then supposed to know they are #1, #2 etc.

Also, you can say "you captain" or "me captain" by pointing at the person and putting a closed fist to the forehead

NWGratefulDiver:
A comment about "stopping the exercise" (since Rob also mentioned it). What is the "default" response in an OOA? Shouldn't these divers already be making an expeditious ascent to the surface? Will stopping the exercise get them there any quicker?

Beyond immediatly giving the OOA diver gas I dont know if I would point to any one response as a "correct" default answer. It would really depend on the situation where the emergency occured. For example if the OOA occurred right when I was at rock bottom, I might want to accelerate the deeper stops and get shallower quicker for a longer hang but with plenty of gas one might decide to complete all the stops. Do I have extra bottles? How is the conditions? Must I make it back to the anchor line? How is the OOA diver doing?

KMD:
Beyond immediatly giving the OOA diver gas I dont know if I would point to any one response as a "correct" default answer. It would really depend on the situation where the emergency occured. For example if the OOA occurred right when I was at rock bottom, I might want to accelerate the deeper stops and get shallower quicker for a longer hang but with plenty of gas one might decide to complete all the stops. Do I have extra bottles? How is the conditions? Must I make it back to the anchor line? How is the OOA diver doing?
I was thinking of Peter's specific circumstance ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

limeyx:
Also, you can say "you captain" or "me captain" by pointing at the person and putting a closed fist to the forehead

The signal for "low on air" is a fist to the chest, so wouldn't a fist to the forehead be "low on brains"? :D

do it easy:
The signal for "low on air" is a fist to the chest, so wouldn't a fist to the forehead be "low on brains"? :D

heh, quite possibly ? There's also the "tap on the head and raise the middle finger" signal ...

NWGratefulDiver:
I was thinking of Peter's specific circumstance ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oh... didnt we already cover that about 50 posts ago? :)

do it easy:

And what is the proper response to an OOB - Out Of Brain emergency? :D

Ben_ca:
And what is the proper response to an OOB - Out Of Brain emergency? :D

Kool-Aid(tm) immediately after the dive?? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom