What should I have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal:
This can interpreted in different ways. We sometime dive with Italian divers and for them it's a sign for "Hey you, think about it" and for us it "You're stupid". Guess what can happen :D when you show the sign several times during the dive to a wrong guy.

Isn't it pretty much the same meaning if you have to particularly ask someone "to start thinking"

:D

piikki:
Isn't it pretty much the same meaning if you have to particularly ask someone "to start thinking"

I thought a DIR diver was always a "thinking diver". Shouldn't be necessary to start thinking :no

jeckyll:
I thought a DIR diver was always a "thinking diver". Shouldn't be necessary to start thinking :no
Last time I checked, DIR divers are still human and might need to be reminded to engage brain.

I've even heard rumors that a Tech 1 qualified diver and a Rec Triox diver managed to both space out enough doing an air share drill that they didn't even notice when their buddy took an uncontrolled ride to the surface; remained sufficiently spaced out and unaware that they never knew that she was gone for a minute or two; and even her reappearance didn't cause any light to go on in their brains. :)

Good one, Charlie! :)

I do think that, with more complex communication, there's a lot of value in context AND this is where diving as a regular team helps. Everybody I dive with knows I've had narcosis problems at about 100 feet; I warn anybody I haven't dived with that I might have trouble. If I turned to Kirk at 100 feet and made the "so-so" or hand-rocking "not right" signal, he'd likely know precisely what the problem was, unless I clearly indicated it was something else (like when my tank came off at that depth, and I kept pointing to it).

This is going totally off-track but for the heck of it, if you did feel the first signs of heart attack under water what would you sign if anything? (Sign, is the question, it's obvious you'd start getting out of there)

Banging on your chest is going to be a little misleading for starters....

(Let me add, we should not have a special sign for this but what would you sign)

piikki:
This is going totally off-track but for the heck of it, if you did feel the first signs of heart attack under water what would you sign if anything? (Sign, is the question, it's obvious you'd start getting out of there)

Banging on your chest is going to be a little misleading for starters....

(Let me add, we should not have a special sign for this but what would you sign)

UP!!!!

"Not OK" and "Up". Since there is nothing your buddy can do to affect what is happening to you, the only thing that is important is that you indicate that something is wrong and you need to get out of there.

TSandM:
"Not OK" and "Up". Since there is nothing your buddy can do to affect what is happening to you, the only thing that is important is that you indicate that something is wrong and you need to get out of there.

I understand your approach. I guess I am just too talkative. I want to express that this is emergency versus I just want out. It will also mean that don't expect any luxury 40/30ft stops etc which I am sure in your thumbing would become obvious at those points too. Thumbing to me (normally) would not mean blowing safeties etc.

piikki:
I understand your approach. I guess I am just too talkative. I want to express that this is emergency versus I just want out. It will also mean that don't expect any luxury 40/30ft stops etc which I am sure in your thumbing would become obvious at those points too. Thumbing to me (normally) would not mean blowing safeties etc.

If I turn to you and give you multiple, repeated, very serious, thumbs up any of my regular buddies would know that this is completely out of character and should know something is seriously wrong.

I guess it's worth adding to my pre-dive chats though :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom