What should I have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Is that the proper solution to this problem?

R..
Of course not ... one's feet should not be coming out of the drysuit boots. If it happened once, it can happen again ... unless you manage some equipment changes to prevent it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
You need to consider the training of the people involved ... what makes you think they would continue the drill once the team was broken? Why waste time "managing" their situation, when there's one above you that requires your immediate attention?

Well from what it was described to me, they were already continuing the drill when the team was broken so clearly some form of communication to them is needed.

OK ... so if you're gonna manage calling the drill and ascending together, do you spend the time waiting for them to (a) understand and respond to your signal, (b) pass the shared reg back to its owner and go back on individual regs, and (c) signalling to begin the ascent? You think that's gonna take more than a few seconds?

I'd prefer to think that someone with T1 training and someone who's passed Fundies and dives with T1 trained divers would know enough to manage all of that without me. I've got higher priorities at that point ... namely a diver with an unknown situation that might require immediate assistance. Seconds count in cases like that.

Ok this is where we are talking at cross purposes. I never said to hang around to wait for cleanup and to ascend as a team. It may have been implied in my posts, but I didnt mean to suggest that. I just meant get their attention, signal cut drill, immediatly followed by thumb, immediatly followed by the bye bye signal and then start after the buddy. As you say they are T1/fundies and compentent divers. They will follow along shortly.

(Edit) ... I am beginning to suspect our differences boil down to the fact that you're trained to manage a team of like-trained divers, while I'm trained to manage students. Perspectives and priorities differ in those two cases.

I have heard tell is like herding cats. :wink:

NWGratefulDiver:
Of course not ... one's feet should not be coming out of the drysuit boots.

I've stopped using those Xerotherm booties because they do seem to get loose on my feet and trap air a bit, not to the point of my feet popping out, but enough to be annoying. I've gone back to wool socks with thick hiking socks over them . ..

As I've thought about this and read the comments, I have another question for the ScubaBorg -- Should I, a single diver, have split off from my buddy to go up (the last direction I saw the missing diver go) thus creating a situation where we have two single divers OR just demanded that all three of us go up NOW (and let them cut the drill or not as the case may be).

If I go up, who is MY buddy should something happen to me?

Peter Guy:
As I've thought about this and read the comments, I have another question for the ScubaBorg -- Should I, a single diver, have split off from my buddy to go up (the last direction I saw the missing diver go) thus creating a situation where we have two single divers OR just demanded that all three of us go up NOW (and let them cut the drill or not as the case may be).

Good question Peter. I'm interested in hearing the responses.

Since you had a danged good idea where she was (and could see her light) I would have gone up (just you).

If you had no idea where she disappeared to, keep the group of 3 together and search as a new team.

This circumstance actually applies in cave if one goes missing in a team of 3. One buddy does not go for help while the other searches. (its not hiking).

rjack321:
Since you had a danged good idea where she was (and could see her light) I would have gone up (just you).

If you had no idea where she disappeared to, keep the group of 3 together and search as a new team.

This circumstance actually applies in cave if one goes missing in a team of 3. One buddy does not go for help while the other searches. (its not hiking).
What he said ...

There are no pat answers to the question ... as is the case with most "emergencies" it requires you to do a quick analysis of the circumstances and make judgment calls based on the specific situation. In this case, since you were relatively shallow, had no decompression obligation, and knew where the missing diver was, I would have signaled the other team to let them know what I was doing, and gone after her. On the other hand, different circumstances (i.e. not knowing where she went, deco obligation, depth, etc) would've probably caused me to choose a different approach.

Peter Guy:
The other two guys ... who, given their training, should've initiated their own ascent very shortly after you did ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
What he said ...

There are no pat answers to the question ... as is the case with most "emergencies" it requires you to do a quick analysis of the circumstances and make judgment calls based on the specific situation. In this case, since you were relatively shallow, had no decompression obligation, and knew where the missing diver was, I would have signaled the other team to let them know what I was doing, and gone after her. On the other hand, different circumstances (i.e. not knowing where she went, deco obligation, depth, etc) would've probably caused me to choose a different approach.
Basically, a thinking diver.

Lynne, I am so going to sneak up on you in Coz and inflate your wetsuit booties with air. :D

Peter Guy:

Well..... Just speaking for myself..... My first instinct as someone who works a lot with new divers would be to go and take care of the diver who I knew needed it. I wouldn't have just "split off" though. I would have signed for them to halt the excercise, buddy up with each other and surface.

That may not be a typical DIR response but DIR or not, if you think you may have an injured diver then you have to take care of that first. In this case regrouping on the surface was the most prudent course of action.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom