What should I buy next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air integrated computers (much nicer) require a connection to your first stage regulator. I would buy a regulator set (along with a SeaCure mouthpiece) first and an air integrated computer first. Otherwise, you will spend time attaching and unattaching the purchased item every trip/dive. This will become a pain very quickly.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Went with the Reg first (AQ Legend Glacia, probably with an XTX40 octopus).
Reasoning: It's the most important piece of equipment (absolutely needs to work), and its the most personal piece of equipment (sucking on it for extended periods of time). Plus it looks like a good reg, taken care of properly, will last longer than me. Also a computer is more of a 'nice to have' luxury. And I'm curious about the BC vs BP/W debate, so I'm gonna try to dive with both via rentals to see which I like better.
Why did I choose the Glacia? Probably way overkill for my recreational self, but my LDS guy was pretty insistent that, 10 months outta the year, you need a cold water reg for diving in NJ. Plus, he had one leftover from 09 that he got me a good deal on. And he swears on Apeks/Aqualung.

With that said, I'm definitely going to be buying a computer soon. Probably a console mounted Suunto Cobra. Anybody have one they're looking to sell?:D

Last edited:
Went with the Reg first (AQ Legend Glacia, probably with an XTX40 octopus). Reasoning: It's the most important piece of equipment (absolutely needs to work), and its the most personal piece of equipment (sucking on it for extended periods of time). ... Why did I choose the Glacia? Probably way overkill for my recreational self, but my LDS guy was pretty insistent that, 10 months outta the year, you need a cold water reg for diving in NJ. Plus, he had one leftover from 09 that he got me a good deal on. And he swears on Apeks/Aqualung.
You won't regret the decision, and don't view it as overkill. While it may not be the particular AQ reg I would have personally selected for me (I dive the Apeks XTX 200s), it is a very good regulator, you will get lots of use out of it, and it will certainly meet your needs. Plus you have established / expanded a relationship with a LDS which should work to your advantage. For example, I would not hesitate to ask if they will loan you - not rent you - a BP/W to try out. You have shown them you are a serious customer and it will be to their advantage to aid you in future gear selections.
And I'm curious about the BC vs BP/W debate, so I'm gonna try to dive with both via rentals to see which I like better.
VERY good idea. Particularly if you are diving cold ocean water with a 8mm suit. And, while I travel (easily) with my SS BP, there is nothing wrong with having a rig for your local diving, and renting a BC at a resort destination, if you have concerns about gear weight for airline travel. I don't have a problem carrying my rig, but some worry about weight limit issues.
With that said, I'm definitely going to be buying a computer soon. Probably a console mounted Suunto Cobra.
Given the fact that you travel for diving, in addition to diving locally, you might continue to think about wrist-mount vs console mount. There are a lot of threads on SB addressing this issue, including at least 2 good ones started since Christmas.

Regarding regulators. I think it's a bit of a wive's tale? that shop regs are worse (yes, there are exceptions) than your own. Most of them are in the water daily or at least weekly and getting maintained more than you would your own. I worked in a shop and maintained all their Mares R2 regs. Believe me, the worst regs I serviced were customer ones that sat in a closet all year before they came on vacation.
Regs are like boat engines in that leaving them sit is worse for wear and tear than using them regularly.
Just thought I'd throw this out there....

Back
Top Bottom