What should I buy next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with White Knight, and did that this summer. I have the Suunto Gekko, Scubapro Mk17/G250V, and Halycon Eclipse 40. Love it all... but will be selling soon due to relocation to Illinois & likely "free" vacation for a year+ to Afghanistan. PM me if interested.

Also agree with trying out different BCs. I really like the strap/backplate set up due to streamline & simplicity. Just my .02.

All scuba gear is "safety" related, and I got tired of renting.

let's be real... the only reason you would need a computer is if you're planning your own dives, going and doing your own thing... you have few dives, and the divemasters on the boats will be watching you very closely. there is absolutely no need to wear a computer on a guided trip, because there will ALWAYS be someone who chugs air faster than you do, rendering your computer's features basically useless.

thus, i would buy a reg setup, like everything you need, and then a nice reg bag to carry on the airlines. done deal.

Uh, planning ones own dives is pretty central to being a good diver. Playing follow the the leader with the dive master is not. Even if the OP wanted to play follow the leader, he is from NJ, the local DM's there are not the hold your hand type that lead groups of rototilling tourist.

This is however, besides the point as you do not need a computer to plan dives. You can spend the same amount on a bottom timer or dive watch and a depth gauge as you do with a DC. The DC just gives you more options for the same price.

let's be real... the only reason you would need a computer is if you're planning your own dives, going and doing your own thing... you have few dives, and the divemasters on the boats will be watching you very closely. there is absolutely no need to wear a computer on a guided trip, because there will ALWAYS be someone who chugs air faster than you do, rendering your computer's features basically useless.

thus, i would buy a reg setup, like everything you need, and then a nice reg bag to carry on the airlines. done deal.

...umm, what happens if you get separated from the group/DM due to poor vis or strong currents for example ?

For ~$800 you should be able to do a nice Reg/Octo/BC set-up, assuming you carefully shop. For instance from LP:

Aqua Lung Legend ACD: $350
Aqua Lung Titan Octo: $85
SeaQuest Pro BCD+QD:$350

Or for less Reg + good basic Computer such as the Suunto Gekko.

I'm new to Scuba diving but not to potentially dangerous sports, having semi-professionally road raced motorcycles for instance. My number 1 rule is never skimp on safety. I'm alive today because of that rule, and not seriously maimed several other times due to that rule.

Last edited:
Go on line to scubatoys and you might find, if you don't go deluxe on every item, that you can get all of your equipment. Scubatoys has closeouts frequently on items that normally sell for hundreds more.

You know, there is this thing, especially on regulators to buy the most expensive, there are very few bad regs made today, get the cheap model and dive the c---p out of it and then keep it for a back up down the road.

N

1+.

You can spend so much on dive gear that you won't have any money left to dive!

If you look at the "mid-range" in any of the major brands' product line, you'll likely get a regulator you'll love.

And a brand I keep trying to steer folks to is Zeagle, for lots of good reasons, but especially the fact that in 2009 the introduced their lastest "flagship" regulator (Flathead 7) to replace the excellent Flathead VI. Flathead VI's can now be bought brand new for a "song" (check ZeagleExpress), about $360 I think.

Also, like Nemrod mentioned, check for closeouts and packages online at Scubatoys, LeisurePro, Dive Sports, etc.... the new Edge "HOG" regulators are something to look at as well as far as "bang for the buck".

You do NOT need to break the bank. I had to fully outfit five divers when I got back into diving a few years ago.

Note: Computers were the only equipment I did not purchase initially. I finally broke down and got an air-only computer about a year ago, and a 2nd a couple months ago. They are wonderful to have, but not 100% mandatory.

Best wishes.

This is what worked for me....Not that it's a "plan" that will work for everyone, but it's just what I did.

After my personal gear, and a wetsuit. I bought a computer, then my regs and BCD. I went with the computer first because I read an article on multi-level diving as opposed to running a square profile, and liked what that had to offer. (and had no desire to learn "the wheel") I was also given good advice to try several types of BCDs and regs before purchasing. And I did. and it worked out greatly!

Then I purchased cylinders because It was just easier from a logistical standpoint to own my own.

From there I went to other ancillary gear (knife, lights, reel, lift bags/safety sausage).

After diving with the original gear for a year or two, I decided that the back plate and wing system was a good way to progress, and got one after test diving one in a pool. The next step was a dry suit, and maybe, if I can get a little more confident with the dry suit, converting to doubles.

Hope it helps!

Get a regulator. Your life may depend on having one that is well maintained and working properly. You don't know the history of a rented one, especially if heading to a AI in Roatan. I've seen too many issues with rental gear, especially regs.

no, let's be real...this is not good advice.

#1 Part of being a good and safe diver is planning your own dives. Whether you use tables or computer, you should plan your dive. Once you look at you plan, you may revise your plan to get more bottom time.

#2 One would say that you have a 'few' dives, if your profile is correct, and one would say that you go diving in the tourist mecas where your lead around the dive site. One of my favorite places to dive is North Carolina. You're from NJ and NC isn't too far away. The DM's get in the water to hook the boat to the wreck, then give you a dive briefing of the conditions and then get back in the water to unhook the boat. They pretty much open the pool and you are on your own. No hand holding, no leading.

#3 The Divemaster is not responsible for your safety. You are a certified diver and YOU are responsible for your safety.

#4 Counting on someone others high SAC rate in order to call the dive is borderline retarded. What happens if your on a boat full of YOGA masters?

Maybe ding dang dives without an SPG, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Some good advice and you probably can not go wrong with any. If it was me (and this is what I did for my daughter several years ago), my order would be:

1. Reg - Sometimes you never know what you get with a rental reg. All rental shops will tell you the equipment is serviced regularly but it is used a lot more too. I have seen two or three issues(one personally) with rental regs over the years but do not recall any on personal regs - just remember to get them serviced as required.

2. BC - This will give you time to try different BCs. Also, you may want to try a BPW. As others have said, there are many threads that debate/discuss BCs and BPWs on this board. Just get what is best for you.

3. Computer - I think it is beneficial for new divers to dive the tables and become familiar with their limits. Also, if most of your upcoming divs are shallow, a computer may not help you anymore than tables. If your first dive is deep (say 60 to 100'), and your subsequent dive(s) are shallow (say 20 to 40'), you will run out of air before you reach your no-decompression limit - assuming you are using an AL80. If you are doing two repetitive deep dives with a short surface interval, then a computer may help you. Do some research on computers and the different algorithms that are used and buy what you are comfortable with. One of my buddies and I dive a Dive Rite Duo and another buddy and our instructor dive a VR3. Even with similar conservative settings, the VR3 allows more bottom time and less deco.

Also, think about what your future diving may be and match your gear to your ambitions - cold water reg vs warm water reg; DIN vs yoke valve; single gas vs multi gas computer; type of buoyancy device, types of lights; etc.

Have a good time on your upcoming trips.

If you rely on others for your depth, time, and air use.....you may be relying on others to recovery your body.....DO NOT DO IT! Plan your dive...Dive YOUR plan.

Buy a computer and reg set-up.........safety!

Back
Top Bottom