What regulator do you lust after?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference, if any, between an "EVO" and a non "EVO"? I use a MK25 but I have no idea if it's "EVO" or not. How would I tell? Thanks.
Evo is environmentalLu sealed. It is marked right next to MK25

Ok. Thanks very much. Mine is not "EVO".

Evo or not, nether are environmentally sealed.

If you see a blue main spring it's most likely EVO.

Evo written on end cap is a giveaway.

EVO is supposed to have better cold water resistance, spring is coated and some other such thing. I think they call it TIS, MK25 not my thing.

Evo or not, nether are environmentally sealed.

If you see a blue main spring it's most likely EVO.

Evo written on end cap is a giveaway.
Mine doesn't say EVO nor does it have a blue main spring. What does "EVO" designate Buddah?

I think evo stands for evolution. The reg has evolved into what it is now.
AFAIK, evo regs have some extra stuff in them to prevent freeze up in super cold water like extra sleeves and coatings, etc., without doing SPEC and leaving them open to breathe.
And in the case of the Mark 2 Evo pretty much an entire redesign. The Mark 25 Evo has additional protection from cold water freezing (a spring isolator and a coating on the spring) and if you had a willing shop you could (to my best knowledge) convert a Mark 25 to Evo. In the case of a Mark 17 vs a Mark 17 Evo (or Mark 2 vs a Mark 2 Evo) you cannot convert them to Evo as there were actual changes to the parts and regulator body that cannot be retrofitted. So depending upon the specific model it may just be additional cold protection and in others it is cold protection plus performance enhancements.

The last "run" of G250s I did totalled 16 I think and you know what I'm looking for now to dive myself? A G250🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

🫠

I have not used every regulator or even most but I seriously doubt anything meaningfully outperforms a G250. And I mean a plain old G250, not that silly HP or the gaudy V or even the fancy G260. The three I got from @Couv are sublime. The two I was given out of a trash dumpster and dove every dive for nearly three weeks in the Red Sea performed superbly (serviced and made pretty by me) and just some months back there was a nice looking G250 on eBay for not very much, advertised as fully serviced. I thought, sure, like whatever, it looks good for parts. Uh no, no! It is beyond sublime, it is telepathic, it is as if it knows before I do that I want to inhale and it has the gold orifice. I took it in a plastic bag as back up to the dumpster duo to the Red Sea but it will get wet next week in Cozumel with my new DGX BCI riding shotgun :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom