What reg's for uk cold water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apeks DS4 or Tek3 for doubles with any of the xtx seconds. i have also used an SP S600 without issues, not everyone will agree. SP G250 will also work wonders.

Apeks DS4/ATX40 will do everything you're ever likely to dive in the UK or abroad, is cheap as chips, reliable, will handle up to 40% Nitrox straight out of the box and is readily serviced just about everywhere (although I send mine back to the factory).

If you eventually decide to go to a twinset (doubles for septics) then the routing is fine, no need to go for the mechanically identical but ludicrously expensive Tek3. I have them on my twins with a dir/hog-style routing and they happily take me on any dive I'd care to do in the UK.

These guys are about the cheapest, especially if you phone them and haggle a bit;

Apeks ATX40 DS4 Regulator & Free ?? by Apeks

Another vote for Apeks. I've got Posseidon Xtremes which I like, and are great cold water regs. Servicing isn't as easy and more expensive. Within the next 6-12 months, I'll probably buy another set of regs and I'm looking at the Apeks XTX 200s. But I will do my homework and decide which Apeks to buy. I went to the dive show in Birmingham on Saturday and spoke to the guys at the Apeks stand and came away with lots of info.

Yeah, Posiedon's are great regs too.... but service and spares is a PITA, even in the UK. I ended up selling my cyclones and jetstreams when I moved to Asia. I dive a SP S600 here in the tropics, it performs great at all depths - but I'd still opt for high-end Apeks for UK diving.

Thanks everyone for your posts :)

No Mares fans here i see :)

I'm going to buy either the mk17 with a g250 or apeks now for definate. XTX50's maybe i think. I've researched them and a million other's and i'll pretty much decide after speaking to my LDS as well, as i'm still torn between them.

Mares mr22 and abyss are also great regs, i own one and its a very good breather comparable to my SP mk17, but the parts are not easy to find, at least here in the PI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom