What regs do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As with many things scuba related I think you will find that SB feedback will be skewed.

I believe that the majority of dives are likely performed using rental regs by vacation divers.

I use Sherwood SRB3400s circa 1987. They are easy to service and get parts for.

I agree with the early model Sherwoods, my 2 Blizzards are from mid 80's and I service them my self.

HOG D1 with Classic 2nd stages. My wife and I each have a set of these for our single-tank rigs as well as a set each for our double-tank rigs. They work great. I have no idea how they compare with "high-end" regs.

HOG no longer makes the D1, but if they did, I might just buy more. I chose them over other options because an enthusiastic following on SB advised me that they were excellent value for the money, and the incremental benefits of more expensive regs just didn't (in their opinion) outweigh the good value of the HOGs. Back then (5-6 years ago?) they were priced even more competitively than HOG regs are today. And I knew that with us getting into tech diving we needed a bunch of regs. Now that I have learned to service them myself--something HOG encourages--I am even more happy with them. If I were to shop for regs today, with a similar mindset, I would look at Deep Six.

I have Apeks, Hogs and Deep6. All function very well but the highest marks go to Apeks followed by Deep6 and then Hogs. Don't think I would pay the premium for new Apeks over Deep6 and the parts for life is not a good value in my opinion for many divers.

My setup is a mix of stuff. I'm cheap (born of learning to dive as a college student, then diving as a grad student for way too long). I don't replace until something no longer has parts available.

This is probably a bad idea, but I still have a gauge console from 1985. The depth matches what other divers see on their computers, the SPG matches my primary rig. I used it the last time I dove because I have a slow free-flow from my primary rig's octopus that I couldn't diagnose and fix quickly on the beach. Given the age, I definitely face the SPG away from me when I turn on the tank. But it still works.

If parts had been available, I would have kept using the same primary and secondary I got with that gauge.

Last edited:
Warm water "tidy bowl" diver. I'm currently diving a Dive Rite XT. Nice reg. All good, no complaints. The most distinguishing feature of this reg is I bought it with a big Dive Rite coupon I won at an Invasion. Absolutely the BEST reg ever. :) :bounce::bounce::bounce:

I use a Scubapro MK17/G260/R395 on my personal dives which tend to be cold water. The G260 is on a 32" hose with a 22" bungeed backup. When teaching I use my old Scubapro MK20/G500/R190 that I've had for almost 20 years with the R190 on a 36" hose (shop requires teaching pass the backup.)

My wife uses an Apeks DST/ATX50 with a bungeed R390 backup.

For doubles I have a set if M1s. For stages I have Deep6. For singles my wife and I used to dive Aqualung Titan LX first with Apeks XTX second stages. After my venture into regulator service I now dive a Atomic B2 1st with Scubapro Balanced Adjustables as 2nds. The easiest breather I have ever used was a Mares V32 1st with a Mares metal 2nd; I just didn’t like that the exhaust bubbles were right in my face.

Atomic T2 - before that a B1/Z1
And a Zeagle Envoy 1st stage carried as a spare - never been wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom