What reg to buy and what else do I need to know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a pink one.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't mean the service would be any better. In fact it could be worse. Since her son works for the LDS he should get her one at key man. If it were my mom I'd get it for her at cost. Or get a brand I could do that with as a pro.
I can't disagree with any of this but you sort of have to wonder where LP gets their AL parts. Although probably the same source as the regs.

You almost cost me money lol until I noticed they only had the Pink ones left. The quick and the dead.
image.jpeg

Of course droppping it off for service is a little difficult from Memphis. Esp. when her son works for a local AL dealer.

Your posts are getting a bit repetitive. We get it that you don't like Leisure Pro and are a big "support your local dive store" fan. However, you are also being misleading. A manufacturer's warranty only covers manufacturing defects which are quite rare and only what the manufacturer says they are. For a normal rebuild she could always drop it off at the local dive shop. It does not need to be shipped to New York.

As to where Leisure Pro gets the regulators and parts it is no big secret. They have contacts at dive shops here and abroad and get the regulators and parts from there. Aqualung requires a dealer purchase a minimum amount every so often and some dealers can't do it so they sell to Leisure Pro in order to keep their dealer agreement.

Actually you couldn't be more WRONG. I buy 80% of my gear online from LeisurePro, Scubatoys and others. In fact I pretty much buy everything online except regulators and BC's Because I buy Atomics and they're the same price everywhere and BC's for the fit. Although I haven't bought a BC in while either - my next one is going to be a Zeagle ET - from either LP or Zeagle Express.

If you'd actually bothered to review my posts instead of bashing me for no reason you'd notice that I frequently mention LeisurePro as an option. In fact I often link to product on their site when suggesting something.

I live in AZ so none are local shops. I haven't been in a local shop in about 3-4 years except once to buy a gift for another diver.

So I don't know what your problem is exactly...

Hey Slick, you're not the only one that knows how the dive industry works either...

Excuse me for pointing out that factory endorsed warranty service is not available for Aqualung products at LeisurePro. Suunto either. Some people care about that.

Hey Slick, if you know how the dive industry works then why don't you show your knowledge instead of your ignorance? I did read your posts and as soon as someone mentioned a great deal at Leisurepro all you did was show negativity, even though it was an excellent deal at half-off list. Heck even people that didn't need another regulator bought one. Warranties (like parts for life) are a marketing tool and nothing more. They are made to sell regs not to service them. Someone with dive industry knowledge would know that.

Hey Slick,

First of all, I apologize for not making it clear enough for you to follow - but in fact I was referring to the dozens, maybe hundreds of posts I've made in other threads recommending LeisurePro. Not the couple in this thread. Which I don't see as negative but in fact objective reality.

Second, let's break the rest of your comments.

In the rare event that the OP gets a defective product - or a recall is later issued during her warranty period - woouldn't it be a lot more convenient to go to her sons shop for a replacement/repair than sending it to Leisurepro? Admittedly chances are small but tell that to all the people who've been affected by scuba mfr's recalls. There's enough of them that we have a forum just for that at the top of our mfr's section.

And let's break down your "excellent deal".

The OP has stated that she plans to dive 10-15 more years. And previously used her Mares for about the same interval. Without knowing one assumes that since she recently had it in for service when they found the cracks etc. - she may have routinely done annual/bi-annual service in the past. As do most divers.

I don't think scuba mfr's just made up 1-2 year service intervals without some data on the damage salt water/moving part wear potentially does to rubber and other parts. I find it kind of curious that Atomic, SP, and Aqualung all have a 2 year suggested interval now - it would seem that marketing a 5 year interval would sell more regs if one of them could support it. On a $500-1500 purchase I doubt they care much that their dealer makes $60 every couple of years servicing it.

The Micron is $250 at LP. Its' $495 list - I read somewhere AL allows 10% wiggle room for the dealers. Since the OP's son is one, let's say he can do that - so say she can get it for $450. She's stated she might dive 10-15 years more.

Recently someone posted what they paid to have their Titans? serviced - itemized their bill here. IIRC the service kit was $32 from their Aqualung Dealer. So the OP would pay $180 for service kits regardless of who did the work - her local dealer or Leisurepro - over 6 services. Which you and I both know probably aren't necessary but a lot of divers do it.

$250+$180 is $430. For $20 MORE over the life of her reg she could have a warranty for the first two years. Plus there's sending it back to LP if it does need to be replaced - vs. asking her son to replace it locally. Read the recall notices in our forum. Most start with "return to your local dealer for service under this recall" or similar. And I assume AL will continue to offer the kits at $32 a decade from now - bump that $5 a few years from now and the "deal" is actually a slight loss.

I can't speak for you but that's worth $20 to me.

Please call LP ahead for the best price!!!
The saving can be substantial eg. for an Oceanic Geo 2 computer the difference is $130.00!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom