What reg to buy and what else do I need to know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leisure pro's warranty is often better and easier to take advantage of with al products. As for service don't worry about too much about mandatory intervals on that reg. Get it done when it needs it.

One consideration on the "good" price on the Micron. Leisurepro is not a factory authorized dealer for Aqualung products so any warranty service required is thru them. Leisure Pro is NOT an authorized Aqua Lung dealer

Regulators rarely need warranty service, so on the outside chance you needed it you send it to Leisurepro. If we were talking about a few dollars I would agree with you but we are talking about a 50% discount.

---------- Post added October 14th, 2015 at 08:55 AM ----------

Leisure pro's warranty is often better and easier to take advantage of with al products. As for service don't worry about too much about mandatory intervals on that reg. Get it done when it needs it.

Totally Agree

How are the bubbles on the Micron? I had a friend who tried diving the Micra and found them to be distracting. - might be something to consider if it is still an issue.

I'm not looking at replacing it because there's a deal out there. I'm looking to replace it because the cost of repair is high.

If you are looking at replacing your entire rig you will be looking at more than $250. I assume the $250 includes rebuilding the first stage, repairing and rebuilding the second stage and replacing the SPG. You need to separate the cost of the various repairs, to see what is most economical. Usually a rebuild is around $100, so I would assume fixing the second stage and replacing the SPG is around $150. You could pickup a used SPG and second stage off ebay for less.

If you go new then you are looking at maybe $250 for the first and second, $80 for a SPG and hose, and another $80 for the octo. So you are at $410.

Thanks. The housing is cracked and other parts need replacing. Cost to repair is upwards of $250. It is a Mares Abyss. There is nothing I don't like about it. Other than it is heavy. The regulator has given me no problems in the time I've had it. I think it's just time to get a new one (by the time I've spend the money on repairs that they really can't guarantee will work because they could be putting new parts in places that don't fit).I'm not looking at replacing it because there's a deal out there. I'm looking to replace it because the cost of repair is high.
A Mares Abyss is an excellent recreational diving regulator. My suggestion is to purchase an Abyss (or an AMF MR-12II/Mares MR-12III) second stage on e-bay and have it rebuilt by your LDS. All in price should be well below the $250 you have been quoted, and you will have the same regulator (internally) that you have used for the last 15 or so years, ready to take the next decade or two in stride.

Leisure pro's warranty is often better and easier to take advantage of with al products.
Of course droppping it off for service is a little difficult from Memphis. Esp. when her son works for a local AL dealer.

After finding it on LP I ordered a second one. I ordered it last night, it's at my home now. No extra for speedy delivery and I live in Canada....WOW LP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course droppping it off for service is a little difficult from Memphis. Esp. when her son works for a local AL dealer.
Doesn't mean the service would be any better. In fact it could be worse. Since her son works for the LDS he should get her one at key man. If it were my mom I'd get it for her at cost. Or get a brand I could do that with as a pro.

After finding it on LP I ordered a second one.

I ordered one this morning after reading your post. :D Mine are DIN so been looking for a cheap used first stage yoke for Bonaire. Sure I could have switched it over and back as needed but couldn't resist just getting a dedicated yoke at that price. You almost never see these for sale used.

Jim. Agree on the parts for life program. Never bothered to participate even on my eligible sets.

After finding it on LP I ordered a second one. I ordered it last night, it's at my home now. No extra for speedy delivery and I live in Canada....WOW LP.

You almost cost me money lol until I noticed they only had the Pink ones left. The quick and the dead.

Back
Top Bottom