What really is an "Advanced Open Water" diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't dive to 40m without taking into account some deco obligation as I wouldn't be going to that depth without a reason i.e. to photograph something in particular and that would definitely involve going past the NDL.

What seems to be missing in the AOW is gas planning. My first PADI experience on that subject was with the Self Reliant Diver course but it may be in the PADI Deep Diver course, I don't know.
Gas planning sac rate and several classroom "paper dives" were done just for that purpose, probably only because of the instructors I had and that was just for basic diver, im sure its not done anymore .

j. Scuba diving at a depth greater than 60 feet or without a dive master.
When I first read that, I thought it was restrictive, but understandable. Then, I saw the “or.” That changes the meaning entirely. Apart from very new, or occasional, divers, I can’t see that a lot of divers would book a DM for a 40’ dive

Morning guys,
Here is the official response from the DAN Insurance people to the inquiry I made about how deep I can dive as a PADI AOW certified diver. Interesting they still manage to state 'depth of your qualification' but then pretty blatantly state you should be ok if you 'inadvertently dive deeper'.

Guess this ends any arguments I have about the subject. Im covered to 50m (not that I intend to go there).

Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 9.26.39 am.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 9.26.39 am.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 55
Check out these exclusions from an Allianz travel policy:

This section describes the general exclusions applicable to all coverages under your policy. An “exclusion” is
something that is not covered by this insurance policy, and therefore no reimbursement would be available.
This policy does not provide coverage for any loss that results directly or indirectly from any of the following
general exclusions if they affect you, a traveling companion, or a family member:
1. Any loss, condition, or event that was known, foreseeable, intended, or expected when your policy was
purchased;
2. Pre-Existing medical conditions, except as waived under the Pre-Existing Medical Condition Exclusion Waiver;
3. Your intentional self-harm or if you attempt or commit suicide;
4. Normal pregnancy or childbirth, except as expressly covered under Trip Cancellation Coverage;
5. Fertility treatments or elective abortion;
6. A mental or nervous health disorder, as recognized by the American Psychiatric Association, including but not
limited to Alzheimer’s disease, anxiety, dementia, depression, neurosis, psychosis, or any related physical
symptoms. This exclusion applies only to Trip Cancellation Coverage and Trip Interruption Coverage;
7. The use or abuse of alcohol or drugs, or any related physical symptoms. This does not apply to drugs
prescribed by a doctor and used as prescribed;
8. Acts committed with the intent to cause loss;
9. Operating or working as a crew member (including as a trainee or learner/student) aboard any aircraft or
commercial vehicle or commercial watercraft;
10. Participating in or training for any professional sporting competition;
11. Participating in or training for any amateur sporting competition while on your trip;
12. Participating in extreme, high-risk sports and activities, including but not limited to:
a. Skydiving, BASE jumping, hang gliding, or parachuting;
b. Bungee jumping;
c. Caving, rappelling, or spelunking;
d. Skiing or snowboarding outside marked trails or in an area accessed by helicopter;
e. Climbing sports or free climbing;
f. Any high-altitude activity;
g. Personal combat or fighting sports;
h. Racing or practicing to race any motorized vehicle or watercraft;
i. Free diving; or

j. Scuba diving at a depth greater than 60 feet or without a dive master.
But that's a general travel policy. Not diving insurance. I purchase a DAN policy specifically to fill the gaps in my regular insurance for diving activities.

The PADI AOW does have gas planning in its "thinking like a diver" segment.
And what does that entail?

And what does that entail?
"Just look on the PADI website for the course syllabus and specification"
But you can’t as the useless (PADI, NAUI) website is devoid of any useful content or detail.

Have just checked— the padi website is now more useless than ever, focusing on flogging eLerninG for FIVE TIMES THE PRICE of a book. £155/$200 for the eLernin when you can get the "four day" course for £300/$450. Gougers.

I'll check my 1991 Edition, but I certainly don't recall it.

I'll check my 1991 Edition, but I certainly don't recall it.
It was added about four years agp if I'm not mistaken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom