What percentage of dives get cancelled due to weather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard Friday and Saturday were great. They said a bunch of dirty water came up from the south this morning. Those were the exact words I was told.

Viz was 50-60 on Juno Ledge yesterday morning. It was actually better yesterday than it was on Saturday.

Viz was 50-60 on Juno Ledge yesterday morning. It was actually better yesterday than it was on Saturday.
Interesting. Maybe the poor vis was isolated? My dive was scheduled for 1 on Sunday. At 8:30 AM I got a call saying the afternoon dive was canceled because visibility was so poor.

Interesting. Maybe the poor vis was isolated? My dive was scheduled for 1 on Sunday. At 8:30 AM I got a call saying the afternoon dive was canceled because visibility was so poor.

A lot of it has to do with the outflow from the inlet and the location and speed of the gulf stream. I can say the water outside of Jupiter inlet was brown almost right up to the reef yesterday morning. There was also a south current on the reef so it might be that a lot of the dirty water was pushing south over the reefs outside PB.

Stupid wind!
East northeast winds 15 to 20 knots with gusts to around 25 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet with occasional seas to 6 feet. Period 6 seconds

Bunch of tanks freshly filled, Air Show scheduled for he next 2 days that could be seen from the boat better than anywhere else , but noooo we don't be able to go out. Stupid wind.
IMG_20201120_110214657.jpg

We’ve given up on the Keys. Blown out more often than not.

We’ve given up on the Keys. Blown out more often than not.
I can't give up my house.

Right now we're seating outside by the water and the planes are flying over us doing their last minute practice runs, for tomorrow's show. It is killing us to know we're gonna miss it.
Few things are better than get a dive and then just sit at anchor with some food, while watching them do those amazing patterns right above your head.

Stupid wind!

First year diver here. Padi Rescue diver 40 dives. All dives in quarries and lakes till I flew to Miami and planned to spend 7 days diving in Key Largo with Rainbow Reef beginning of October. Got 3 great days of diving including the Spiegel Grove.

Right after the 3 days weather turned bad and no boats went out for 5 days. After 2 days of hoping boats would go out, bailed on Key Largo and went to BHB and got 2 days there before I had to fly home.

I am now planning to drive to Florida in January and have two 8 day periods where I am going to stay in Florida City, 25 minutes from Key Largo. I'm also going to bring my bike so I have something to do on days boats don't go out.

My question is being new to diving what are reasonable expectations when one takes a dive vacation that you are going to actually be able to dive?

How about expectations for being in Bonaire for 3 weeks in January? This is what I planned to do but cancelled due to the virus. How many days in Bonaire might one lose to weather?

Thanks in advance for replies.
almost all my cancelled dives in the sunshine state have been bc of bad weather... BHB is quite nice, maybe next time stay on the Peanut island, right across (like 500feet) from BHB with direct access to ocean and charters, or isamorada in the keys is beautiful too..... <TG>
:smalllogo:

Conditions are looking to improve over the next week, so let’s keep our fingers crossed! I’ll actually be trying to dive off of Pensacola next weekend if weather permits.

maybe, maybe not.... looks like there might be another system of LP(low pressure)... <TG>
:smalllogo:

Visibility off the Pompano reefs and wrecks was outstanding today! Easily 80’ vis and blue. 1.5 knots north current and 76 F water temperature at 75 feet. Surface was about 2.5 foot seas. Days like today make me forget all about having to go to work tomorrow!

Attachments

• 50CD00F2-556B-4A9C-A276-A37518B0D439.jpeg
    50CD00F2-556B-4A9C-A276-A37518B0D439.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 57
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom