What other than a wetsuit (for a guy)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the water is warm do you need anything more than your thong?

Check out the Lavacore suits and surfing clothing I tried one in the Bahamas down to 75* and it worked very well the first couple of minutes when you jump in with it and it is soaking up water it seems to be a bad idea but once that is over it warms up nicely.

I guess I’ll find out! I might be fine with water temp (can swim all day, all year) but it might be good to have a layer for shore dives near the lava rock.

I thought Rash guards were just cheap thin polyester shirts (that’s what I saw at Macy’s, lol). Now I’m seeing there is neoprene and other materials.

So “Skins” and “Rash Guards” seem to be what I should be looking for...

I guess I’ll find out! I might be fine with water temp (can swim all day, all year) but it might be good to have a layer for shore dives near the lava rock.
I thought Rash guards were just cheap thin polyester shirts

I've dove in thin polyester shirts as well, but that was when it was really warm, mid 80s, and I was roasting in my 3mm wetsuit.

You can look at rashguard a designed for surfing. They fit much more fitted than casual rashguards so it’s better for diving. You can also look for a Lycra onesie for diving if you don’t need neoprene and just want protection. No added buoyancy.

I have a Sharkskin "full suit" that I have been wearing for several years when I don't need more thermal protection. It's machine washable (but most of the graphics are gone); works great for me. It has some small thermal protection, so I wear it even on LOBs in the warm Carribbean; I also need/want the protection fro the sun.

Is a 'lycra onesie' the same thing as dive skins? I didn't realize lycra would provide much protection - awesome.

If I dive a steel tank I'll actually need the neoprene. But I guess that's not so likely renting at first... My rig in a pool with a steel 85 was overweighted.

Last edited:
Henderson makes a polyolefin full suit ("Hotskins") that is cheaper than Sharkskin. They fit snugly, but maybe not as tight as neoprene does. Works well as a protective layer and for mild thermal insulation (more than lycra). These days, I tend to use two piece lightweight neoprene tops and bottoms from surf or paddle lines. For me, in the tropics, it works well.

Is a 'lycra onesie' the same thing as dive skins? I didn't realize lycra would provide much protection - awesome.

If I dive a steel tank I'll actually need the neoprene. But I guess that's not so likely renting at first... My rig in a pool with a steel 85 was overweighted.

Yes, same thing!

Fresh water pool? How over weighted? You will be less over weighted in saltwater.

Henderson makes a polyolefin full suit ("Hotskins") that is cheaper than Sharkskin. They fit snugly, but maybe not as tight as neoprene does. Works well as a protective layer and for mild thermal insulation (more than lycra). These days, I tend to use two piece lightweight neoprene tops and bottoms from surf or paddle lines. For me, in the tropics, it works well.
I have a Henderson polyolefin and didn't care for it at all and its been so long since I wore it, in fact I think I sold it, I can’t tell you why I hated it.

But Eric has one of these for skin protection in warm waters and loves it...

Mares 1mm Coral Mens Wetsuit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom