What other than a wetsuit (for a guy)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I saw a pic of someone diving in what looked like pants and top - maybe fitting but not skin tight (it was a female though). I’m moving to warmer waters, and not being in the best physical shape I don’t love wearing a wetsuit. But after seeing how soft my skin gets when I dive I feel like protection is important.

I don’t know the terms - Rash guard sounded right but I read that’s for wearing under wetsuits? Is there anything that’s comfortable in and out of the water?

My husband has used Under Armour compression tops and bottoms. Not much warmth but worked for protection.

Anything that is not skin tight will interfere with mobility to some degree.

I wear a one-piece rash guard for protection from the sun and to cover up in situations where a swimsuit alone would be poorly tolerated.

Rash guards work fine on their own. Idea is to prevent sun exposure and abrasion while participating in watersports. Helps provide some protection against sea critters like jellyfish.

I wear any compression pants under my sharkskin or nothing under them except for swimwear and love them. Sharkskin is equivalent to 3mm yet they are neutral buoyant and fairly priced and machine washable...

Anything that is not skin tight will interfere with mobility to some degree.

I usually dive in Columbia fishing pants and a long sleeve moisture wicking shirt, No mobility issues. In fact it's great, unzip the legs off the pants and I'm in shorts and a shirt and dry within an hour.

Thanks! I think the pic I saw was something like Sharkskin but I feel like I have plenty of options now. I think I was just struggling with names of things - I have a 'wicking base layer' I use when it's hot out, I could wear that under my board shorts. Maybe they're called compression pants.

When sea temperatures allow, I really like diving in my Apeks Tech Shorts and Fourth Element Thermocline long sleeve zippered top. Thermocline is neutrally buoyant and wind resistant. Gotta like that! The Apeks shorts has great pockets for gear which helps me streamline my profile rather than having gear hanging off my wing.

Thermocline - Fourth Element
Apeks Tech Shorts

GJS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom