What order to buy when getting started?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I am definitely going back inflate over jacket style. I just did not like the way those jacket BCs squeezed me when I was on the surface. Made it hard to breathe a couple of times.

I tried a jacket style on at my LDS and hated it without even having any air in the BC. I currently have the Scubapro Knighthawk which is a back inflate.

Eventually I will got to a BP/W config but I am happy with my current setup.

I agree with the others here that said to get the reg set before the BC. If you decide to buy used you should get an idea of what servicing will cost you for that reg before purchasing it. I would also recommend looking in the classifieds on this board for your reg set. Many times when you buy used equipment locally the people dont know anything about it and cant answer your questions. When you buy from the board you will know many times when it was last serviced and things like IP.

I tried a jacket style on at my LDS and hated it without even having any air in the BC. I currently have the Scubapro Knighthawk which is a back inflate.

Eventually I will got to a BP/W config but I am happy with my current setup.

I have my eye on a Knighthawk with Air2. How do you like yours?

Some have suggested dive computer first. Yeah, maybe nowadays. Depends on your type of diving. Don't want to get into the old "computer vs. tables" thing. I dived a lot before getting a DC.

I prioritize equipment in an order that will help make you a better diver and then stuff that will keep you diving. When I first started out I couldn’t stand renting equipment because all I would do is look at the rental price for each piece and think how the rental costs per day were between 5-10% of buying the piece outright.

1. Correct set of fins--none of that flimsy recreational crap
2. Wrist Mounted Dive Computer-Can be used while traveling, quality units can be had for around $200 and it will be instrumental in helping you improve your buoyancy

After the fins and computer, there are a few different paths you can take and none of them are wrong

If you will be more of a vacation diver with less local diving, I would prioritize

1: Regulator
2. BC
3: Exposure Protection

If you are going to be doing a lot more local diving (presumably cold water)

1: Exposure Protection
2. Lead Weight—ideally 2 x 1,2,3,4, lbers (maybe add 5s if you need it), but the mentioned combination will let you mix and match the weight you need to sink as you gain more experience and drop lbs. This is strictly here because of the ROI. Renting lead weight can cost $5-$10 a day, hard lead weights can be bought for $2 – $3 per lb
3. BC
4. Regulator
5. Tanks-usually the last piece of the puzzle. Air fill included in tank rental price means that they typically have a lower ROI, but once you have your own tanks you will find yourself diving A LOT more.

BC gets slight priority over regulator when diving locally because it, combined with your exposure protection and computer, will allow you to start getting dialed in terms of comfort and buoyancy. If you are diving locally, you will find or know a shop that has decent rental regulators and can keep returning to them until you are able to get your own. When traveling, getting a good rental reg can be hit or miss. If I am a vacation diver who doesn’t dive year round, I want a regulator that I know is reliable and that I am comfortable using.

I am a fairly new, primarily vacation diver. A computer was my first major purchase and I haven't regretted it - in fact a number of dive destinations have required one and I'm glad I didn't have to figure out their rentals.

Beyond that, I've only had one experience with a rental BC where I said afterwards "that sucked and affected my experience" and it was my first experience with a back-inflate so the issue was more over-weighting and user error than the BC. On the other hand, I've had really mixed luck with rental regulators and some of them have really sucked. Let me tell you, a poorly maintained or performing regulator *will* affect your experience.

I plan to buy a BC and regulator this season but the regulator is definitely my priority.

I have my eye on a Knighthawk with Air2. How do you like yours?

I love it! It is very comfortable and I love the back inflate. It took me one dive to figure out how much air to have in it at the surface so I don't tip face first but after that is what smooth sailing.

I also have the Air2 unit and i enjoy it. The hose is a bit short for my taste but overall I enjoy diving with this BCD.

Plus as I move from new diver to DM and finally to instructor I will be able to use it throughout the process.

You can get tanks and fills inexpensively at blue hole as long as Stella stays in business and you show up in the morning or early afternoon on Saturday or Sunday. I didn't buy tanks (other then a 19CF pony) until I decided to dive doubles. She also rents full gear there, it's old but seems to work.

You can get tanks and fills inexpensively at blue hole as long as Stella stays in business and you show up in the morning or early afternoon on Saturday or Sunday. I didn't buy tanks (other then a 19CF pony) until I decided to dive doubles. She also rents full gear there, it's old but seems to work.

Yeah, I plan to rent a tank from my local shop to take with me. I also need to rent a 7mil suit which I also don't own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom