What not to miss in new zealand/australia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew W.

New
Reaction score
Hey folks
I'm going to be studying abroad from early january to early april of 2006 in Australia and new zealand. I've never dived before, but I'm going to be PADI open water certifed within the next month. What dive spots should I try to make it to while I'm there? I don't know the exact towns I'm going to be in, only that I'm in a different one every two weeks or so and I'll have 3-day weekends every weekend so I ought to be able to get just about anywhere. Thanks!

Drew

In australia it is really about where you are going and what you want to see.

In our colder waters you have leafy sea dragons, in ningaloo/WA you have whale sharks, in GBR/Qld you have... well pretty much everything depending on what time you are going, in Sydney nurse sharkes, sea dragons, In south australia (it this is yoiur thiing) they have great white cage diving... its a big country and a shoreline surounds us so when travelling on the east side - there is a dive site not too far away.

Drew W.:
Hey folks
I'm going to be studying abroad from early january to early april of 2006 in Australia and new zealand. I've never dived before, but I'm going to be PADI open water certifed within the next month. What dive spots should I try to make it to while I'm there? I don't know the exact towns I'm going to be in, only that I'm in a different one every two weeks or so and I'll have 3-day weekends every weekend so I ought to be able to get just about anywhere. Thanks!

Drew
In New Zealand;
Rainbow Warrior (Bay of Islands)
Poor Knights Islands (Whangarei/Tutukaka)
Leigh Reef or Little Barrier (Just north of Auckland)
Aldermans (Coromandal)
Mercury Islands (Coromandal/Great barrier Island)
White Island (Tauranga/Whakatane)
Thoms Reef (Wellington)
Mermaids Kitchen (Wellington)
The Marlborough Sounds
Mikhail Lermontov (Marlborough Sounds)
Fiordland
Stewart Island

There are a million great dive sites but I have just listed the 5 star sites (Although I have missed a couple...)

Drew - Where are you going to be based and for how long in each place? NZ is an awesome place to dive and explore no matter whether your based on the north, south or west island (also know as aussie). What else are you into? Azza has pretty much picked off the best dive destinations but there's so much else to do here.

EDIT: OK, just re-read your post and noticed that you don't know exactly where you are going to be! When you've got a few more details, post them up and suggestions on what to see and do will follow!

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm still waiting for the program coordinator to announce the semester itinerary, hopefully that will be soon since there's going to be a study abroad opportunity fair at school in the next week or so. I'll provide specifics as soon as I can.

AndyNZ:
...west island (also know as aussie).

Stupid kiwis, when are you going to realise that it's only a matter of time before you become another state of Australia?

As for dive sites here, a lot of the best ones are away from the major centres, so you might not get to see them unless you do travel a bit. Still, there's awesome diving off the bigger cities, like Brisbane Sydney and Melbourne, from wrecks to coral reefs. Hope you enjoy yourself!

Aussie Diver:
Stupid kiwis, when are you going to realise that it's only a matter of time before you become another state of Australia?
Dude. Havnt your Government told you that Australia has officially been renamed West Island. They thought It would boost your national IQ to become a part of New Zealand, although unfortunately it lowered ours somewhat.
The proof is in the picture

I don't reccomend the poor knights, I found it to be a BIG dissapointment, I'd say stay above and and do some adventuous stuff in New Zealand. As for Australia there are a lot of good sites, I wouldn't bother diving the cairns area of the reef, too beat up, try and go in the whitsundays or one of the islands in the reef like lady elliot island. Doesn't sound like you get to decide where you will be going, so check out the opportunities at each site and what's available.

Dive at Bare Island, in Sydney, near the airport its fabulous!
Also if you need to hire any gear in Sydney go to Sydney Dive Acadamy in Matraville, they're really great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom