What motivates you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Motivation

To me, like Ken said, it is fear. The fear of failure at anything is what drives me to succeed. Succeed in life, food, career and in my other endeavors.

We all, secretly or otherwise crave the respect and praise of our peers. As a woodworker (my other interest) I build furniture. I want to be the best there is and some actually think my stuff is pretty damn good. I don’t build it to be cheaper than buying it, I build it to be original and better than anything that could be otherwised purchased. I like people to be proud to say they have something I made.

With diving, I want to be considered a safe and good diver, a good videographer and a good buddy to dive with.

Professionally, I have to earn the respect the employees in my charge. My job is to motivate them to continue to improve. To improve enough to want my job.

I would have put "faith" after food and before job and scuba, in my list. I thought about it, but since the seminar and also Scubaboard are not church, I kept faith to myself. Thanks for pointing it out. There are probably billions of people on the Earth who consider faith as well, but it normally does not get spoken of in public outside of church a lot.

Well.... I don't want to derail this thread but I'd like to respond to you because I do believe there is a slight difference between spirituality and faith. Faith is "belief" in something in the absence of absolute proof whereas I see spirituality as actually "walking the path".

Also spirituality to me has nothing to do with the form or the instrument used to achieve the state. Any practice or context that allows someone to develop a deep sense of inner peace and a strong sense of connectedness to everything else outside of them will do. For some the instrument may be some variant on God and Church, for others it may be meditation, for some this state may even develop without much at all in the way of structure ...

I personally believe that some sort of faith in a metaphysical existence is a precondition for developing a spiritual character but the converse is not true. Having faith isn't enough to develop a spiritual character (or become enlightened or whatever you want to call it). To become enlightened one really needs to let go of a great many hindrances to it's growth, which normally takes a bit of work....

For whatever that's worth.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread....

R..

Lobster.

This is a very interesting topic. What motivates you at one point in your life may not be what motivates you in another. Through direct achievements in one area you find yourself looking or longing for that same sense of satisfaction in other areas. I didn't start diving until I had reached my occupational goals to own my on business and be successful in that, until I had raised my children and all of them are in college and achieving their own goals. At this point in my life, I find that diving gives me a sense of satisfaction and awe that I could only achieve after other areas in my life had been satisfied; thus, back to the pyramid. You can't want to dive if you are hungry, thirsty or cold. Your basic need for survival must first be met. When those needs are met, we can channel our energy into a more spiritual nature. Nothing satisfies my soul or makes me feel more whole than being under the water.

This is a very interesting topic. What motivates you at one point in your life may not be what motivates you in another. Through direct achievements in one area you find yourself looking or longing for that same sense of satisfaction in other areas. I didn't start diving until I had reached my occupational goals to own my on business and be successful in that, until I had raised my children and all of them are in college and achieving their own goals. At this point in my life, I find that diving gives me a sense of satisfaction and awe that I could only achieve after other areas in my life had been satisfied; thus, back to the pyramid. You can't want to dive if you are hungry, thirsty or cold. Your basic need for survival must first be met. When those needs are met, we can channel our energy into a more spiritual nature. Nothing satisfies my soul or makes me feel more whole than being under the water.

Exactly!

Thus when my base-ic needs for air, warmth, sleep, water, food, and a paycheque are all satisfied, the only thing I want to do is scuba.:eyebrow:

Basic Instincts first...then second according to Sharon Stone..:wink:

Basic Instincts first...then second according to Sharon Stone..:wink:

Well, I saw that movie, and it did not have anything in it that was new (no pun intended).

A lot of people make a big deal out of the Garden of Eden and the Holy of Holies, but to me, that is just like any other pleasure on this Earth. A time and a place for everything.

Whereas I find myself thinking about scuba almost all the time, when I am not otherwise busy at work. And a great day is one when I can load up my gear, go down to the sea again, gear up, power up my DPV, and dive into it all again.

Denise, I am sure you are beautiful, like a Greek statue of a goddess. But your power over men is not completely unlimited.:)

Your compliment is like a two-edged sword. My reference to the movie was just a slight humorous twist on basic needs being met by our basic instinct that drives us to have those needs met. The depiction of being compared to a statue of a Greek goddess on the surface can sound quite flattering, but a statue is cold and heartless, much like Sharon's character in the movie. But, as you imply, not only was she cold and heartless, but was driven to use her cunning and craftiness to over power the men who crossed her path that she deemed worthy of her pursuit. She wanted a challenge to make her feel alive. You can relate to that, can't you?

Your compliment is like a two-edged sword. My reference to the movie was just a slight humorous twist on basic needs being met by our basic instinct that drives us to have those needs met. The depiction of being compared to a statue of a Greek goddess on the surface can sound quite flattering, but a statue is cold and heartless, much like Sharon's character in the movie. But, as you imply, not only was she cold and heartless, but was driven to use her cunning and craftiness to over power the men who crossed her path that she deemed worthy of her pursuit. She wanted a challenge to make her feel alive. You can relate to that, can't you?

You know guys don't think like that?:eyebrow:

We normally view all women as beautiful Greek statues of goddesses, with or without the heart.:)

So you "are" driven by your Basic Instincts then....:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom