What Most Irritates Female Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was a young diver (25 years ago) I was very fit and strong, my OW class was like SEAL training and I didn't want or need help from anyone. Now as a middle aged woman I don't have the same upper body strength I had then, I don't feel that accepting help makes me weak or "less" and I've learned to appreciate simple acts of kindness or caring from either gender.

Being polite and showing respect works well with anyone regardless of gender.

The only two things I find irritating is that a man can wrap a towel around his waist, slip his suit off, and dress into dry clothes and still remain modest. It's a bit more difficult for a woman. Also, I’m not a prude, but I do not enjoy crude (subjective to the individual) behavior or language. I just remove myself from it as far as possible.

Other than that, I will offer to help lift gear onto shoulders, our lift it out of the water; my upper body strength is naturally lower than a man's and I appreciate help, either gender is fine.

outlawaggie:
Just a note. I still hold doors for ladies, help them lift things, offer my seat if there are no more and a lady is standing.

Please understand, NONE of these things are done by me or most any other male as an inference that Women are weak, unable, or incapable. It is simply a sign of RESPECT for women. If that makes me politically incorrect so be it.

By the way, I do the same for any man more than ten years my senior for the exact same reason. Respect.

Just something to keep in mind the next time someone offers to help.

I always feel that things like that are done out of respect never as a sign that women are weak, etc....

Thank you!

There is a woman I know who said she feels like an outsider everytime an off color comment is made and everyone looks at her to see if she is offended. She tells me she only wants to fit in and this makes her feel like an outsider.

outlawaggie:
Just a note. I still hold doors for ladies, help them lift things, offer my seat if there are no more and a lady is standing.

Please understand, NONE of these things are done by me or most any other male as an inference that Women are weak, unable, or incapable. It is simply a sign of RESPECT for women. If that makes me politically incorrect so be it.

I guess I don't understand why people just do these things for women... why wouldn't you hold the door for anyone, and help anyone lift things? As for the seat on the bus, frankly it would just make me feel awkward if some guy gave one up for me!

I'd prefer people to be polite to me because I'm a person, not because I'm a woman.. silly distinction, maybe, and I'm not going to get all huffy about it. :)

I don't think this is specifically a gender issue, but more often than not the "offenders" are male. I happen to be very nearsighted, and I've worn a prescription mask for the past 22 years that I've been diving. I keep my glasses in a case in my dive bag, so I can grab them easily when I get back on the boat. Some guys just plop themselves down at whatever seat is open, not aware of "little details" like someone else's gear is beneath them, or worse, they toss my bag to the side and have little regard for what might be in it. I suppose it goes back to the part about respect in general...

frenzer3:
I don't think this is specifically a gender issue, but more often than not the "offenders" are male.

this is prob because the majority of divers are male, although increasingly it's becoming less male dominated which of course is good. Dont think a man is less likely to be thoughtful than a woman... my old dive buddy back in wales (she's now a dm) is just as careless as i am! :dazzler1:

I guess I don't understand why people just do these things for women...

I do it for everyone - it's simple manners :wink:

Back to the original question though - something that really irritates me is when blokes see the ties on my bikini as an open invitation to pull them!

It's not big or clever - don't do it!! It only puts me in horrible humor and I guarantee I'll make your life miserable if you did it to me :)

Doing it once I can sort of understand and maybe even find funny, depending on how much of my modesty has been compromised, but a bloke who thinks it is funny to keep doing it will very swiftly find themselves in my bad books!

Phish-phood:
I do it for everyone - it's simple manners :wink:

Back to the original question though - something that really irritates me is when blokes see the ties on my bikini as an open invitation to pull them!

It's not big or clever - don't do it!! It only puts me in horrible humor and I guarantee I'll make your life miserable if you did it to me :)

Doing it once I can sort of understand and maybe even find funny, depending on how much of my modesty has been compromised, but a bloke who thinks it is funny to keep doing it will very swiftly find themselves in my bad books!

Phish-phood-

I work part time for a swimsuit designer, and I help run swimwear shows. Our girls are professional bikini models (many are also Hawaiian Tropic Girls). Because our shows take place in casual settings, on the beach- we have the same problem with guys pulling the ties. Here's a simple, fool proof solution (also guaranteed to irritate the tie puller)- tie a square knot, then the bow over it. They can pull the bow out, but not the knot, so your modesty is saved!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom