what man-eating sharks are found in Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Jaws was one of those lost in time for me.

I didn't want to see it because I don't have a shark phobia (though I'd probably warm my wetsuit in a hurry if I saw a white), and didn't want one, but when I FINALLY saw it last year, though the first 15 minutes were rather terrifying, I was laughing my way through the rest of the movie, plus it was the director's cut which may have involved a LOT more male bonding on the boat, so through most of it, my friends and I were "Just kill the frigging shark already!!!'

Plus, what is with that happy fairy skipping through the woods music while they're in battle with the shark? That might have been scary if not for that!

chip104:
On a more serious note, I had the chance to go to bicol and went out to fish with the local fishermen. Apparently it's shark infested around there and one of the fishermen I was with lost his arm in an attack. Check the pic out. We even had to stop by a village to pick up the leaves. It was a great experience.

Fisherman.JPG

Hey Halthron can you ask that fisherman why he didn't use his cell phone to report the shark attack? He still has his right hand ....:wink:

This supports my as to whether or not shark attacks in the Philippines are tracked and reported. Chip104, did that fisherman say what kind of shark did this?

Greatwolf, malunggay leaves is great in chicken soup and has the consistency of cabage ... sorta. So if I have a cup prior to the dive, does that make me shark proof?:D

DiveGolfSki:
Hey Halthron can you ask that fisherman why he didn't use his cell phone to report the shark attack? He still has his right hand ....:wink:

This supports my as to whether or not shark attacks in the Philippines are tracked and reported. Chip104, did that fisherman say what kind of shark did this?

Greatwolf, malunggay leaves is great in chicken soup and has the consistency of cabage ... sorta. So if I have a cup prior to the dive, does that make me shark proof?:D
I can't remember the specific shark but it wasn't a great white. When you try out the leaves, let us know. I'll leave it in my chicken tinola...mmmm.... :D

Ya, I think the shark reports are lacking cause of the infrastructure. But even so, I'm sure shark attacks are not often. This fisherman has been fishing since he was a kid - two trips a day (sometimes 3 they say), 7 days a week - so one shark attack over the amount of time he's spent out fishing is pretty decent stat (would have been better if it never happened, but for shark infested waters...). Plus his partner (steering at the back) has been with him thick and thin and never been attacked (not to mention all the other fishermen around there that haven't been attacked).

btw, in case you're wondering, the way they fish in Bicol (Albay) is that one fisherman would get into the water with one end of the net while the other is still paddling in the boat till the net reaches its other end. Then he'll paddle around to make a huge circle till he meets up with his partner in the water. Other fishermen in different regions don't neccessarily get in the water (hence no chance for shark attack).

It was a great experience in general. Very spontaneous - my cousin and I just arrived at a remote beach and saw them paddling along shore and we asked if we could join them. Sure no prob they said. At the end of the trip they even dropped us back in Legaspi (1.5 hrs away from the beach). Here's another pic I would have never gotten otherwise:

Mayon.JPG

Some of the perks of backpacking around here. :) Just going with the flow... (alright, I'm boasting now...)

PS I think that's his left hand :)

That is one beautiful picture of Mayon Volcano ... still looks like perfect cone to me.

You're right about the reporting infrastructure and the low probabilities of attack you mentioned. However, since the only report we have on record totals 1 and now this ... there has been a 100% increase in shark attacks in the Philippines :D

There is a tiger shark in Cebu's North East Pass. And BTW it is a documented fact that Camiguin is in the migration path of Great White Sharks.

"If you swim with sharks you are bound to get bit!" -Chinese Proverb

DiveGolfSki:
Hard to text one-handed :D

Ishie:
I'm Dumaguete-bound in about two weeks (yea!!!!!!! First warm water ever!). Do you think there's any chance of seeing a shark near there? We're doing the three adjacent island dives, including Apo Island, so I'm wondering if there are sharks seen there somewhat regularly? I've heard people on occasion have seen whale sharks, but I figure I've got about as much chance of seeing one as I do a great white in Monterey. In about a hundred dives, I've seen a 4' shortfin mako and a horn shark, and I'm hooked. Nurse sharks, bull sharks, white tip reef sharks?

Hi Ishie, I know that Dumaguete is known more for benthic life and reef fishes (macro shots if you're a photographer). Not so sure about the pelagics. Best to ask ScubaV or Marku since they're from the area and can answer all your questions about it. Happy traveling!!!

(my 7 year old cousin is watching as I type this and wanted me to put the heart icon. Nothing personal.)

When I was in Apo Island in June of this year, there was talk about a fisherman catching a Thresher sharker while fishing for jacks at about 75 meteres, otherwise yes there were your average reek sharks running around here and there. As an avid diver of the Philippines and Indonesia, sharks 'of any type' are about the last thing I worry about while underwater anywhere! There are far other more dangerous creatures and conditions while diving that could cause your demise!

cebudiver:
There is a tiger shark in Cebu's North East Pass. And BTW it is a documented fact that Camiguin is in the migration path of Great White Sharks.

"If you swim with sharks you are bound to get bit!" -Chinese Proverb

hey there i always suspected that our waters were used occasionaly by great whites but never have been able to find proof or info on this. i was wondering if you have any links or documents to shed light on this matter? thanks

Once in Camiguin we were arguing about this with a friend. He pulled out a book he had and there it was in black and white. I could not begin to tell you which book that was or how to find it.

Back
Top Bottom