what man-eating sharks are found in Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
As a marine biologist, I think I can say with certainty that there are NO man eating sharks in the Philippines or anywhere else that I'm aware of. However, there are sharks that will eat people (they do not discriminate between men and women, at least as far as I know).

Great whites seem to prefer men:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/White/Sex.htm

whitesharksex.jpg

Diver0001:
Spoon,

Delve into the statistics a bit. ... only 1 took place in the Philippines.
R..

I looked into global shark attack's files and had to all the way back to 2002 (http://www.sharkattackfile.com/GSAF2002.cfm) to find a reported attack NEAR the Philippines (#28 Indonesia, 12' white shark with human remains inside) but couldn't find the 1 that took place in the RP.

Here's another site that confirms the 1 attack on Scuba Divers:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/scuba/All2.htm

That's the good news.

However, I doubt if all attacks (if any) are ever or accurately reported.

Spoon, you were traumatized by Jaws? :11: Jaws came out in 1975 and you were 1 year old then. I don't count the sequels since I consider them to be comedies :D

If you're really worried about them, carry a bangstick. Although I think the risk of injuring yourself will be greater when you do that than the risk of getting attacked by a shark.

DiveGolfSki:
However, I doubt if all attacks (if any) are ever or accurately reported.
It's hard to get a cell phone signal from inside a shark. :wink:

Halthron:
It's hard to get a cell phone signal from inside a shark. :wink:

Well all the 54 reported incidents in the U.S. came from inside a shark. No problem with cell phone signals here.

NOT

drbill:
I was just teasing ya! I would assume you would have tiger sharks there and a few others that MIGHT nip at a human being. It has been a while since I've dived Asia or the South Pacific, but I never had any trouble with the sharks I encountered while I was there.

Here people worry about the great white. In nearly 45 years of diving (well, 36 here in SoCal) the onlty time I've seen a GWS (other than topside) was when I was cage diving to film them off Guadalupe Island).

Hi Drbill, i noticed you are from the catalina islands. I was SUPPOSED to dive there but i scheduled my dive 2 days after my arrival. I didnt expect my self to get LBM and so i had to forfeit my payment and miss the dive. The boat i was supposed to dive with was... Lets see... there is "Truth"? Anyway... how is diving there? compared to the philippines? What did i miss?

Axua:
Is that you on the pic with them bro? I am close with the dive group those 2 dive with. Maybe we have met bro?

Sorry mate, I'm not on any of the photos. Someone just sent me a link to her site. I haven't had the opportunity to dive with any Filipinos as well. I only took up diving when I got here in Sydney. That's going to change by the end of the year though, as I'm hoping to catch up with you guys.

With regards to sharks, one of my fishing buddies is a diver as well. He told me a funny story about sharks in Bicol. He said that the most effective repellant against sharks is malunggay. What the fishermen do is, when they go out, they bring malunggay leaves with them and they usually shake the leaves in the water if they're near shark infested waters. The sharks, being smart realize that they're going to end up "kinunot" if they go near the fishermen's boats.

Kinunot - I think this is a type of spicy soup with coconut milk

Wayward Son:

Are you serious?

From the link you posted:

This graph indicates that males utilize ocean waters far more often than females, engaging in activities like surfing or boogie boarding, and are therefore more likely to have an interaction with a white shark, and be mistaken for their natural prey items.

greatwolf:
Kinunot - I think this is a type of spicy soup with coconut milk

hmmmm. no wonder there are no sharks in anilao, there are lots of coconut nuts and leaves down under hence they know that the coconut would be used for the spicy soup for kinunot

Matthew:
Are you serious?

From the link you posted:

This graph indicates that males utilize ocean waters far more often than females, engaging in activities like surfing or boogie boarding, and are therefore more likely to have an interaction with a white shark, and be mistaken for their natural prey items.
Didn't we learn anything from the JAWS sequels??? Sharks can pick their victims! Don't mess with their family!

greatwolf:
What the fishermen do is, when they go out, they bring malunggay leaves with them and they usually shake the leaves in the water if they're near shark infested waters. The sharks, being smart realize that they're going to end up "kinunot" if they go near the fishermen's boats.

On a more serious note, I had the chance to go to bicol and went out to fish with the local fishermen. Apparently it's shark infested around there and one of the fishermen I was with lost his arm in an attack. Check the pic out. We even had to stop by a village to pick up the leaves. It was a great experience.

Fisherman.JPG

DiveGolfSki:
Spoon, you were traumatized by Jaws? :11: Jaws came out in 1975 and you were 1 year old then. I don't count the sequels since I consider them to be comedies :D

If you're really worried about them, carry a bangstick. Although I think the risk of injuring yourself will be greater when you do that than the risk of getting attacked by a shark.

wow a great white as close to indonesia? few have already ventured in our waters. i watched jaws when i was 4 years old around 1980. even the sound freaks me out but that was before i started diving. being in the water now doesnt scare me at all in fact i welcome the sights of sharks as they are getting rarer by the day.

im still scared though of floating in open ocean wherein you cant see the bottom, just blue grey water, my imagination takes over...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom