What makes the Atomic Venom mask worth $260???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gotta pay for the marketing wank somehow......

Best mask I've ever used is an OEM from DGX that cost me maybe $30. I think it says Promate on it?

Sometime in the 70s I replaced my Cressi Pinocchio mask because it was too big for free-diving. I bought the smaller version called the Occhio. I still have it, it works great, is very comfortable, never leaks, never fogs up, is low volume, and it even has the original strap and has at least 2000 dives on it. The current version is called the Super Occhio and is selling for $35 most places. I don't remember what I paid for my Occhio in the 70s but it was most likely less than $50. If this one ever wears out before I do then I'm getting the Super Occhio.

PS: I'm not wearing it in my avatar picture. That was the only time I didn't wear it since I bought it.

Well, just to stir the pot, I actually do dive an Atomic - the SubFrame. Wasn't the cheapest, but it fits MY face perfectly. Tried one of Aqualung's to go even lower volume, but the skirt wasn't quite right on MY face.

I just felt a little need to moderate the Atomic-bashing (incl. my own). They do got good stuff. :stirpot:

I wear an Atomic sub-frame as well and I really like it. This is obviously a personal choice, but I can imagine putting enough tech and design into a mask to make it worth that much - to someone who it fits well.

Gotta say, in the land of $1400 flashlights, $169-$199 (on Amazon) for a good quality doesn't seem inherently outrageous.

I was given an Atomic ARC subframe mask as a sweetener... part of a big gear order a few years ago.
Atomic Aquatics SubFrame Scuba Mask with Anti Reflective Coating

The biggest issue was the ARC coating on the lens... it simply would NOT stop fogging up no matter how much toothpaste, baby shampoo, dishwashing liquid, Jiff cleaner, alcohol, white spirits... or even acetone I applied!
Drove me crazy...
It was a cleverly designed and very nicely finished mask but a little too small for my face... leaky under the nose seal.
While there was an minor improvement in reflections with the ARC coating I cannot see it being worth the premium price... even if I had paid for it :D

Last edited:
What makes it worth 260$?!!

Nothing!!

Not so fast my friend. I dive an Atomic mask. The thing is incredible! While other folks are swimming along the reef seeing an occasional turtle and the various reef fishes, I can see mantas, whalesharks, and every now and then a great white.

Well worth the $260.

Not so fast my friend. I dive an Atomic mask. The thing is incredible! While other folks are swimming along the reef seeing an occasional turtle and the various reef fishes, I can see mantas, whalesharks, and every now and then a great white.

Well worth the $260.

If you would have included topless mermaids you might have sold me :daydream:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom