What makes one regulator better than another?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwaters usually aren’t discounted unless it’s something like your thing.
Pretty standard at my LDS for veterans, first responders and repeat customers to get 10% off. I've heard there is no turnkey pricing for Shearwater and some other brands as well.

Just to get to the OP's original post. I've only been diving a few years, so I don't have the same level of knowledge as others here, but my first gear purchase was the Sea Elite package from Divers' Supply -- with the Covert, not the Scout, regulator. Having to buy for multiple people and at the time not sure it was going to be a regular thing, I went inexpensive, and honestly, it worked out very well for us. I now own more Sea Elite Covert regs and, in my experience, they have functioned fine down into the low 40sF. (But I also have come to the conclusion that at some point diving below 50F and beyond say 30 feet means that you should have some form of redundant 1st stage setup.) I got them serviced remotely through Divers' Supply once, and it went smoothly. Others can chime in, but I believe Sea Elite\Hog\Edge are -- at least roughly -- all in the same line of regulators. Others' experience may differ - do your own research.

I also really like my local shop, though, and the people that have bought Apeks\Dive Rite\Scubapro\Aqualung etc., through them are all very happy. As others have said, ease of service and parts costs may factor into your choice.

Few people use a redundant first stage -- one of the bugbears of solo and technical divers. But the world doesn't seem to have a rash of "recreational" divers suffering from kit failing at 10m/30'.

Never heard of those "Sea Elite" regulators before. Some Chinese OEM rebranding product?

Never heard of those "Sea Elite" regulators before. Some Chinese OEM rebranding product?

Pretty sure they are made in Taiwan.

A lot of that's down to Value Added Tax (VAT) which levies an additional 20%+ (depending on country) on the nett price.

I believe in the US you only pay sales tax on stuff bought in-state -- which must really help the online retailers.
I'm sorry but the price I quoted was including VAT ;-) the price EX VAT is 397 USD for a SP MK17EVO+G260

scubapro-mk17-evo-g260.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom